Chapter 13: Sabrina

The first day back to school wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. People spoke in the hallways, but my status there hadn't changed. I was still looked at in 'aw' when I passed through. Some people cowered into their lockers. 

  Damian was in school today, and by the looks of it: he'd actually be in class today. He hugged his books underneath his arm, before shutting his locker closed with a bang. Our eyes met for a second, before he trudged down the hallway alone.

  Being in my classes again was different. For the first time in my life I had to catch up with what they were talking about. It was like I'd taken a long vacation with no worry of what may happen when I'd gotten back. At the time I didn't care.

  By the third class of the day, I'd had a massive headache. The seat next to me was empty two minutes before the bell. I guess I was wrong that he was planning to come to class today.

  I hung my head looking down at the orange textbook in front of me. It didn't seem essential for anything in front of me to match anymore. It was just a book, on a wooden desk that would still be here after I graduate.

   "I'm glad you could join us today," the bell rang and Mrs. Luke's sarcasm was ignored. 

  Damian slid into the seat next to me, just as the bell had rung. My head flicked up to see Mrs. Luke handing back a homework assignment. "Mine" landed on my desk, and Riley's hand writing was easily detectable. My words flowed on the paper, while hers were a little more scratchy. But, not bad. 

   "What did you get?" Damian asked.

   "Me?" I confirmed and held up the paper.

   "You did good,"

   "Yes, I did," 

  We shared a laugh, before we were hushed by Mrs. Luke.

  The cafeteria was a lot more chatty today, with rumors and whispers about. I was instantly waved over by Britney, who'd saved my signature seat. She began to chatter about how she knew it was my sister and not me all along. And that she would never betray me, as a friend.

  A group of football jocks passed through the cafeteria, taking over my sister's old table. And when Damian walked into the cafeteria, he walked right out, not wanting to deal with them. 

  He was all alone here now.

  Not all alone.

  I stood from my seat, ignoring Britney's requests and sped out to the hallways in my heels. 

  I was a lot faster without the five inches.

  Damian had stopped himself just outside the cafeteria. He'd known I'd coming looking for him, with that stupid smug look on his face.

   "Ah, just couldn't resist me could you?" he grinned.

   "I'm in heels," I huffed.

   "I noticed you were about five inches taller today," he stepped forward.

   "Come on," I rolled my eyes.

   "Where are we going?" he laughed.

   "To eat lunch," I gestured, but he wouldn't budge.

  I gripped onto his hand and walked forward, with the smug grin on his face never leaving. 

  Everything slowed when we walked back into the cafeteria. Some of the chatter died down and a lot of faces went blank, as they stared. But my smile never left my face, and the two of us made our way to my table.

  Britney willingly scooted over a chair for Damian to sit. And even though he stood out from the group in his dark jeans and ratty red t-shirt, he fit right in.