Chapter 11: Sabrina

"Did you really sleep with you neighbor?" 

  Demon was in the bathroom changing into her new clothes, which left Damian and I alone. We were sitting on his bed staring at the ceiling, when I remembered what Riley had told me earlier. 

  Damian sat up from the bed and frowned at me through his messy locks of hair. "Where in the hell did you hear that?"

  I tilted my head sideways.

  "Right," he nodded knowingly, then laid back down. This time he was closer, so close in fact I could feel the heat radiating from his body onto mine. "Uh, yeah,"

   "Why?"

   "I don't know," he shrugged. "She's always been nice to me,"

   "Yeah, real nice," I giggled.

   "Oh, don't you start," he warned. "I already get enough from your sister,"

  The bathroom door creaked open, and Demon poked her head in. "Enough what?"

   "Crap," I muttered more to myself.

   "Oh, yeah, I guess so," Demon took it. "What's her deal anyway?"

   "What do you mean?"

   "You know- the whole: 'I'm perfect and you all suck'," Demon leaned back into the bathroom.

   "She doesn't think that," I defended without thinking.

   "Oh don't you get all holy on me! She's an awful person. You know she's going to end up with no friends and no life. And she'll probably live with your parents-"

   "Don't say that!"

  Both Damian and Demon looked at me in horror. Demon frowned at me for defending myself- or my sister rather.

  I gulped and stood. "I think I should get going,"

   "Wait," Damian hopped up.

  Demon glanced between the two of us. "What's going on with you two?"

   "Nothing," we said at the same time.

   "I'm just going to walk her down to her car," Damian said.

  The two of us skidded out of the room, before any more questions could be asked. Damian shoved his hands in his pockets, and kicked at the dusty hallway rug below him.

   "Sorry about that," he mumbled.

   "No, I get it," I replied. "I am a horrible person,"

  We got to the stairs.

   "Don't say stuff like that," he reached for my elbow and I turned. "You're not a horrible person,"

   "Looks like you're the only one who thinks so," 

  I took my arm back and headed for my car. Damian was still at my heels, moping like a child.

  The dusty old Jeep didn't phase me anymore. I went through the car wash and the green paint began to show through, instead of the dirt it came with. My sister bought it at a yard for a cheap price, and has been working on it ever sense. I think it relaxed her to have a project of sorts.

  My fingers fumbled with the keys until they were on the ground. 

  Damian picked them up and gripped onto them tight, not letting them go. "You're not a bad person. Through the small time I've gotten to know you has not been bad what so ever. I'm enjoying my time getting to know you- the real you. Why do you put on that face at school?"