3

Shy of three months later in the closing winter of Atmora, Ysgramor and his tacticians had nearly concluded the ranks of their naval flotilla; the ships had three and a half thousand workers tending to them, cutting the construction time in half, this was no small feat as the winter was the worst winter seen in Atmora in nearly a hundred years. Meanwhile, the 500 warriors who were to accompany Ysgramor and his sons, were busy training in the Pit.

The Pit had been in Jylkurfyk for as long as the planks of the shipyards had been swimming in salt water. Its stone had been thieved from ancient mountains, its timbers had been claimed from the woodlands encircling the land and its iron stolen in heaps from their mothering mounds. The materials were fashioned in aberrant forms and were forced together in even stranger ways, its very structure was unnatural; the flagrant nature of its existence enforced the darker predatorial instincts that hid within even the most modest of people. An unholy masterpiece.

The warriors' blades clashed against one another spitting sparks after every clash; the clamour of shields against shields created clouds of chipped oak and the chainmail and steel armour plate was ruffled like the feathers of a Raven.

Jeek was also at the Pit, his fierce combative capabilities had won him as many battles as his oratory skills had won him the hearts of his soldiers. He had once been the champion of the annual battle three times in a row but didn't partake in the following year due to the arrival of his first child.

As Jeek walked under the twisted stone arch leading into the Pit, every shield-brother and shield-sister paused mid-swing and knelt in respect to him; who to them was as important as Ysgramor.

Jeek stood still and scrutinised every face. Looking to the army he said: "There is no need to kneel, it is my honour to fight side-by-side with all 500 of you shield-brothers and shield-sisters whom I call kin!"

After Jeeks final word had been said, the mass of warriors erupted into a cheer though was soon silenced by the slavemasters who had entered with an enchained bandit leader. The slavemasters had brought a combatant for Jeek. "I was wondering when you men would bring this traitor to me," said Jeek "I've been longing to kill him". The bandit leader was dressed in chainmail and a partially torn surcoat. The slavemasters handed the bandit leader his two axes and unchained him, by this time all of the warriors had formed a circle around Jeek and the bandit. Their eyes afixed upon the spectacle.

The Bandit immediately charged Jeek with blood on his mind but Jeek was a beserker unthwarted by the bandit's determination to take his life. Jeek hauled his battle-axe to his guard, blocking the fury of the bandit. Jeek thrust the large oak handle into the bandit's head temporarily stunning him yet giving Jeek enough time swing for the bandit's knee, the strike landed on its mark and sliced the leg in half leaving the bandit on the floor. Finally, Jeek stood over the bandit and said: "What is your name scum?" with which the bandit exerted:

"Jergun Felksbrodir! My brother will come for you all! Vengeance is nigh!"

Before the bandit could say anything more, Jeek's axe plummeted into his skull ending the life of Jergun Felksbrodir, the brother to King Felk of the north.