Probable Outcomes

The tax season was rapidly closing so I had less paperwork now than running emails and faxes. It gave me time to check stocks on my mobile at the peak of the afternoon. The IT sector had took a hit again but I was happy to see that a green technology program I had bought for the pet project had done well. Sitting back in my leather chair in front of the desk I sipped a coffee and brought up my tablet to login and check the overall range value.

With deft fingers, I typed in the code by route memory yet the screen came back in error with a denial message. What? There was only one other authorized user on the account and that was my father, Nagami. It seemed strange to have access suddenly blocked on such an inane thing. Surely the family had more money than the millions stored in here so what purpose would it be to take it back. Just as I became flustered enough to reach for the phone line two rang through. I answered it in a rush.

"Accounting, this is Jiro..." I said with a tinge in my voice of annoyance.

"Jiro, have you checked that portfolio I gave you?" It was my Fathers voice who rang out to me with concern. Rather it made sense that he would be calling as the only other person with access.

"Yes, my access is deauthorized is the account..." but my words were cut off.

"Forget those pennies, this is more important!" he raised his voice to cloud any further interruptions. "...those funds are Miramadi's. When the chairman told me to transfer ownership I knew it was strange so I called the main house."

"What?!" I overlapped his words now my mind filling with pulsing doubt.

"They told me Ani meant with the former chairman today. He must have told her the arrangement and if they are transferring her inheritance now... I don't know what that will mean for you." He said with a sigh at the end.

Suddenly Jiro's gut was filled with fire and he felt nausea. It had been hard enough to sit and select the next years of her life. Every time foreign colleges were shuffled to the bottom of the application pile he felt relieved. It was like watching a rope suddenly fray and break knowing that you'll lose what's precious at the other end. He was as terrified of his urge to lock her up as he was of her running away.

The phone went silent in his hand as he mulled over the situation in his head. Nagami continued to pose questions and comments but Jiro didn't hear them.

"Thank you, father, I have to go home" he said ending the call. How much did she know? What things was she told? With a slam of the door and a click of the automated locking system Jiro raced down to his car. It was a 25 minute drive home from the office but he intended to make it in 10.