Chapter 2

I jump at the hands that snake around my waist from behind me. I turn my head to see Gavin smiling. He leans forward and kisses me. It lasts for about 5 seconds before our lips part, letting my head turn back to watch the horizon swallow the sun whole. Gavin turns me around to face him. I watch him closely as he scans my body. It was Friday night and he texted me after school wanting to meet at the beach by sun down. Of course, I said okay, and now we’re here. I can imagine what he’s thinking, but at the same time I really don’t want to. I pull my hands free and bring one of them up to his face. I make him think I’m going to lean into kiss him when I use my other hand and splash water into his face. I try to jump back into the water but he grabs my waist and pulls me up to where our faces are only 2 inches apart. He leans in and kisses me on the cheek before bridal picking me up. I look at him and he looks back with a smirk. I know immediately what he’s going to do so I get ready to go under the water. He counts to three and tosses me about a foot ahead of him. I plunge under and feel the cool water cover my face at a vast speed. We’re in the shallow parts of the water so it doesn’t take long for me to get to the surface. I stand up and remove the water from my eyelids with the back of my hands. I slowly make my way towards Gavin until he begins to move back to the shore. I keep my pace as he begins to move backwards faster. He reaches the shore and not too shortly after, so do I. I see him waiting for me to reach him, and when I do, he puts his arm around me and we start to walk towards our stuff. I notice someone by our bags and towels, but I can’t just make out the faces yet. Gavin looks towards me and I look back. When we get close enough, I realize it’s just Logan and Brianna. Logan raises his hand up to us and Gavin raises his right back.

“How did you guys know we were going to be at the beach now?” I asked, looking towards Brianna. She smiles and points her finger at Logan. 

“Okay, Okay...” Logan begins. “I may or may have not snooped on your text messages?” He says, gritting his teeth. I look at Brianna and see that she’s holding Logan’s hand. I give her a smile and she returns one, covering her face with her free hand.

“Well. We were about to leave and I was going to take Ashley to Dairy Queen.” Gavin explains to them. He looks at me and he knows that I want to ask them to come with us, so he gives me a nod as he pulls me closer towards his body. 

“We would be more than happy to have you guys tag along with us if you don’t have anything else to do...” I say, looking at Logan with a sympathetic look. He budges and nods his head towards me. 

“Yay!” I say. “Lets get ready so we can go.” 

I lean over and put my towel into my pink adidas bag, and slip my sandals on. Everyone else has already gotten their items, and are making their way up to the sidewalks. We’re all the same age, which is 15. So that means that none of us can legally drive yet. So for now, we have to walk where ever we need or want to go. Gavin waits for me to catch up to him, then he begins to walk with me. He wraps his arm around my waist and I find the warmth from his body soothing. We reach the sidewalk and begin to go in the direction of the nearest Dairy Queen. We make our way up a small hill that leads our eyes to see the Dairy Queen in the distance. Logan and Brianna have stopped just ahead to look at something off in the distance, but the begin to walk again as we catch up to them. We cross the road as we near Dairy Queen. I make up my mind on just getting a carmel sundae when we get there. I’m not much of a picky eater when it comes to fast food. But Dairy Queens logo says ‘It’s fan food, not fast food.’

We have successfully crossed the road continuing to walk 10 feet ahead of us to reach Dairy Queen. Brianna walks up to me asks what I’m getting.

“I think I’m going to stick with the Carmel Sundae.” I say as Gavin’s arm releases my waist.

“Okay. I guess I’ll get that too.” She says, biting her lip as if she is nervous.

“What’s wrong?” I ask, concerned.

“Well...” She begins, looking at the Dairy Queen lady behind the window that had to be about 18. “I kind of think Logan’s interested in other girls. I mean... He’s always talking to other girls and stuff.” 

I feel a little bit edgy about talking to her about these sort of things, because every girl I have talked to about their boyfriends has always brought up, ‘your so pretty and you get all the hot guys, and how do you deal with the break ups?’ and all that crap. 

“If I was you, I would just not think about it until you actually witness him doing something that you don’t like.” I say, trying my best to help her out. “I know it’s not very good advise but - ” She cuts me off by giving me a big hug.

“Thank you so much Ashley.” She says with a smile. “It’s fine if it’s not good advice, but it’s the best advise I have gotten so far. Brittany said I should just - ” Logan walks over and hands Brianna her carmel Sundae, just as Gavin walks up and hands me mine. I catch a smile from the Dairy Queen lady and I can’t help but to say ‘Thank You.’ She nods her head and begins to talk to another worker.