For the Best

Mick wanted nothing more than to go to bed. The day had been long and hard. Hunting with the Winchesters was more difficult than he thought and Mick was just ready for the day to be over. He was ready to get to his room and pull his lady love close. The very thought made Mick smile.

He hadn't planned on falling for you. At all. He was in America on orders, nothing more. Then, he met you and your brothers. Your brothers had shown him that there was more to the hunting life than following orders and sitting behind a desk. There was a humanity to it. Then, there was you. Even growing up the way you had, you still kept your bright spirit. You were a light in your brothers' lives and now, Mick's as well.

Mick sighed happily as he approached his room. He opened the door and stopped short when he saw you in there, throwing things into a duffle bag. "Y/N?" Mick's voice made you stop moving. You glanced at him over your shoulder. "Where are you going, luv?" You cleared your throat and resumed packing. "I'm leaving. I can't do this anymore."

Your words hit Mick like a ton of bricks. "Leaving?" You nodded and grabbed another shirt from the drawer. Mick walked over to you and gently grasped your arm. "Why?" You took a deep breath and turned your eyes on his blue ones. "I don't belong here, Mick. I belong with Sam and Dean. They need me, especially with Mom out there hunting." Mick felt what could only be described as rage building up in him.

"NO! You can't just leave! What about this? Us?" He gestured wildly between the two of you. He wasn't angry. He was hurt and confused. He thought you felt as deeply for him as he did for you. "It's for the best, Mick. Now, you can either help me pack or get out. You're in the way." You wrenched your arm from his grip and grabbed the rest of your clothes. After throwing them in the bag, you faced Mick again.

"Please, Y/N. Explain to me what's going on, luv. Is this about what happened with the werewolf? Or with Renny?" Mick was doing his best to swallow back the tears. You shook your head. "It has nothing to do with this. I told you, it's for the best." Mick groaned loudly. "That makes no sense, Y/N. If you can't give me a reason, I'm not letting you walk out that door."

"Don't. Don't make me be the bad guy here, Mick," your voice was soft but steady. He crossed his arms over his chest and you sighed heavily. You closed your eyes and pursed your lips. When you opened your eyes again, Mick couldn't see one iota of emotion there. Your beautiful (e/c) orbs were void. "You want a reason? Fine. I don't love you anymore."

Mick dropped his arms to his sides and stared at you in disbelief. Had you really just said that? Did you really not love him? You zipped and grabbed your duffle bag. You walked toward the door and this time, Mick didn't stop you. "I'm sorry, but it has to be this way." As soon as the door closed behind you, Mick sank down on the bed and placed his head in his hands.

Outside, you leaned against the door and fought back your own tears. "Is it done?" You turned your head slightly to see Ketch standing there and nodded. "Yes." You sniffled. "It's for the best, Y/N." You laughed humorlessly and replied, "That's what I told Mick. Not sure who I was trying to convince." Ketch gave a nod.

"With what happened with Renny and Dagon, Mick is in danger. The old men will expect me to take care of it. In order for my plan to work, Mick has to disappear. He won't if he has you. If he thinks you love him." You hiked your bag up onto your shoulder and looked at the door of the room you used to share with Mick. It was killing you not to burst right back through the door and hug him close. You turned away from Ketch to leave. After a couple steps, you glanced back at him. "Ketch? Keep him safe." With that, you left the British Men of Letters bunker knowing you'd probably never see Mick again.