Chapter 15

A branch snapped beneath my foot and I jumped back behind a tree. I peered through the leaves and saw Gale lift his head and stand.

"Who's there?" he called out. He reached to a rock lying next to him and grabbed his knife. He held it up protectively in front of him, walking slowly in my direction.

Could I trust Gale? Of course I could. He might have hated me a bit about everything that had happened, but he would never rat me out to the Capitol. I knew he wouldn't.

I lowered my voice, trying to make it sound distant, and replied to him. "Put down your knife and I'll come out."

He seemed surprised that there was actually another person out in the woods. His eyebrows knit together as he slowly set his knife on the ground. "Who's there?" he asked once more. He would probably hate me even more when he found out about this whole sharade, but now I had no choice.

"Just... Don't freak out." he looked even more confused than ever. I stuck one leg out from behind the tree, and then cautiously stuck my head out. My whole body emerged from the tree and I was shocked when Gale ran forward and hugged me tightly.

He released me and held his hands on my shoulders. "But, how?"

"Listen, I'll explain to you later, I promise, I will. But you can't tell anyone about this. This never happened." he nodded, clearly still confused and shocked.

Then he noticed a small blood stain on the front of his shirt and looked at my stomach. Red had completely soaked through the gauze and bandages and were running down the whole front of my body.

"Oh, crap," I murmured as I slid onto a rock, hand on my stomach.

"What happened?" Gale asked as he held my hands and helped me sit.

"What do you mean? Didn't you see?" he shook his head.

"I sort of stopped paying attention after I found out you were really... You know. Are you? Still, I mean?" I looked to my stomach.

That was the first time I'd thought of it. This was much more serious than running into a forcefield. If my baby had survived this, she must be a lot like her mother. Tears formed in my eyes, and Gale knelt down next to me.

"I don't know," I said quietly.

"I'm sorry Katniss, I didn't mean to upset you. If you lay down I can get a better look at it." I walked up to he ledge and layed between to rocks. I looked around as Gale unpeeled the bandages.

So many times I had been here with Gale. So many memories. I looked at Gale. He was so familiar to me.

His black hair, olive skin, gray eyes, and the scar across his lip from a wild dog... His lips. I thought again of the time Gale had kissed me when I returned from the Games. Things had been so strange between us... I didn't want that. That's why we're better off as friends.

As the last piece of gauze was removed, his eyes widened as he captured the goryness of the wound. "I'm all messed up, huh?"

He ignored my remark and stood. "I have to go buy some more supplies from your mother," he turned to leave but I grabbed his arm.

"What will you tell her they are for?"

"Um... I just won't tell her. I'll say it's an emergency and I need to hurry." I watched him as he ran off.

Suddenly I started to feel very tired. I didn't see why I shouldn't, I had been through a lot that day. So I rested my head and let my eyes close. I would just sleep for a while, I thought to myself. Then Gale will come wake me up...