Chapter 1: How it Started

Steve was terrified going into war and Bucky knew it. They were sitting along the inside of the train in silence hiding from that monster machine looking for them, Bucky's hands gently rubbing Steve's knee to calm his nerves, it wasn't working. He decided to try something else, he thought of something everyone had.

You see, everyone got tattoos of their soulmates last words on their wrist and a line appeared once they met their soulmate. Bucky and Steve got lines under the last words when they were only seven, they were each other's soulmates. They heard stories about it, people who never got the line under the words, people who've never gotten words, but luckily they weren't those people. But these words would disappear once the words were said and it terrified them both, especially when they decided to go into war together. They never knew if and when it would happen.

Bucky pushed his sleeve up his arm despite the freezing air around them, quickly shoving it in Steve's direction. "You see these?" Steve nodded and pulled up his own sleeve.

"Yep."

"Good I don't want you saying this today you hear me?" Bucky urged, "I wanna be able to give you a shit load of kisses after we kick this things ass."

Steve chuckled shortly. "You see these?" Steve mimicked Bucky, showing the last words on his arm this time. Bucky nodded. "I don't want you saying this either. I love you." Bucky nodded and sighed, jumping at the pounding sound at the door. Before Bucky could think, his lips were on Steve's, he just didn't have a good feeling about what was going to happen next, and he sure as hell wasn't going to go down without having his lips on Steve's one last time.

Another pounding happened, this time the machine getting ready to fire something at them both. Steve jumped in front of Bucky, lifting up his shield and getting ready for the hit. That it did, it hit them both so hard, creating a hole in the train. Steve let go of the shield and flew towards the opposite wall, falling in pain. Bucky picked up the shield while still standing although the shield was way too big for him, and started firing at the machine, knowing it was useless.

The blue light from the machine's canon lit up once again, firing at Bucky, sending him through the hole in the train wall. He luckily grabbed a train rail and hung on for dear life. Steve was up again, throwing the shield at the monster and rushing to the wall of the train, climbing outside. "Bucky.... Just hang on." He was on the rail, reaching his hand out towards his soulmate.

Bucky just smiled, taking in Steve's face. The rail was coming loose and he could feel it as he held on, it wasn't going to hold in time. So in those few seconds he just stared at Steve, looking at his face for the last time. Taking in every pore, every freckle, and lastly taking in his blue eyes, burning it into his skull so he could never forget it.

"Here, grab my hand...." Steve pushed his hand out further, just a few mere inches away from Bucky. Bucky tried he really did, reaching out his hand and touching it with the tip of his finger for a second. The bar gave way. "No!," Steve shouted. Bucky's chest closed in at the feeling, free falling as the bar came loose, made him scared in every possible way. He didn't look away from Steve not for a single moment, he just screamed, refusing to say his last words.

Steve didn't know how to handle himself, collapsing inside the train as Bucky disappeared into the mountains. The rest of the war was useless without Bucky by his side, he wanted to give up at this very moment, and internally that's what he did. He forgot about the words on his wrist, telling himself that Bucky was gone. Bucky never left his mind from that point on, even when he was flying on the ship later that day. He spoke to Peggy yes, but in his mind all he kept hearing was the scream Bucky uttered hours before, and if that scream was going to be the last thought in his head then there was no point in living. That's why he crashed the plane because it would save America- but it would also give him a way back to his soulmate.