Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Eric opened his eyes with a gasp and didn’t recognize his surroundings for a few seconds. After a few seconds, he realized that had fallen asleep in his new office. Before he let his dream get to him, he distracted himself by observing the room for the first time.

It was only 10 feet each way. There was a door to the right as soon as you entered, it had a small bathroom with just a sink, shower cubicle and toilet behind it. And straight from the main door, was a desk. It had an internal phone line on top, two drawers and two seats, one behind and the other in front of it. Behind the desk was bulletproof, one sided transparent glass. Eric’s view consisted of what seemed to be the whole of the city.

He opened the top drawer, it was empty. He filled it with the papers Junior had given him on the newcomer and some other major events he had missed over the past decade. The drawer below it consisted of a small revolver with the bullets next to it. He hoped he never needed to use it. But just in case, he loaded the gun.

It had been more than 13 years since he had held a gun but only a year since he had seen someone use one to kill. He shuddered thinking about Adone. He needed to stay strong. He was more than capable of doing this.

Deception is a family trait, he thought bitterly.

Beep beep beep. Beep beep beep.

The phone line showed that someone was calling him. Eric clicked the speaker button.

“Hello?” He asked.

“It’s me. Newbie’s here. Start with the interview and skill overlook and based on what he says, see if he needs physical training too. Your call.” Junior said.

“Okay. Sounds good.” Eric had been trained to understand the workings and technical terms at a young age. He understood everything and like riding a bicycle, couldn’t forget even if he tried.

He immediately regretted his nap because he hadn’t even gotten a chance to open the file on the man he was about to meet. Before he could take it out of his drawer and skim through it, the red button that opened the door started flashing. That meant someone was outside.

Eric pressed the button and waited. The door slowly opened and as if there wasn’t enough surprises that day, he was greeted by a familiar face.

“What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be dead.” Eric exclaimed.

“And you’re supposed to have kept her safe.” The man answered as the door shut behind him.

“I tried my best. I know it’s my fault but if I had known that she had a price on her head in this place, I wouldn’t have taken her even a thousand feet near here. I wasn’t thinking and needed her to hear the truth.” Eric replied.

“Yet, you came back? It looks like you set her up.”

“No! This is all for her. Wait! You’re from the New York gang? And, I hear you’re going to help us find Nicole. How could you betray her? She trusts you more than anyone. She would died for you.” Eric said. There were too many shocks that day. There was only so much a man could take.

“Are you seriously questioning my credibility, Eric King?” He asked.

“Yes, Tom. I am.”

*****

“Is this room bugged or is there a camera somewhere?”

“No. I’m sure. We can talk freely.” Eric replied. He stared at the man in front of him, was it really Tom? Was it the same man Eric watched getting shot? More than 5 times, that too.