Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“Eric! I thought you’d never come.” Kevin Junior exclaimed. He looked genuinely surprised.

“Neither did I.” Eric admitted. He couldn’t believe he was in that position but he was willing to be there for Nicole. He would do anything for her. Even face the one person he hated almost as much as Adone.

“Finally, you’re ready to come back. Welcome home, man!” Junior smiled. He truly wanted Eric back home. Eric was, and always had been, a huge asset to the gang. He was smart and skilled which was so rare. Now that there was no question of him being dethroned as the head, he could use Eric to his advantage.

“Yeah, thanks.” Eric said, trying to give a convincing smile.

“So, what’s the deal?” Junior asked.

“I think I finally realized how pointless it was to look for someone who is as good as gone. And, my parents shouldn’t have left the gang in such haste because some of my best memories are with you guys!” Eric exclaimed. He felt sick, the bile had risen to his throat and he wasn’t sure if he could hold it in till the night.

That was the biggest lie he had ever told in his life. It was the opposite. He hadn’t been able to sleep for years because of the memories the gang left him. Years!

After his run early that morning, he had rushed home, took another shower and changed into semi formals. He needed to make a comeback. And quickly, before he changed his mind. That was the only way.

He watched as Junior analyzed him and knew he wouldn’t be kicked out. The man needed him. Eric was once supposed to be Senior’s successor, with good reason too. And now that competition had been eliminated, Eric knew Junior couldn’t rule without him.

“You really mean it! I can see it in your eyes. Good for you. And me.” Junior smiled widely and embraced Eric. “By the way, I’m really sorry for the way I spoke on the phone. You know I hate apologizing but I know I was a major jerk then so I’m sorry. I can’t blame you for your comment about women and me. I deserved it. I felt bad later, so I thought I’d say....”

“No worries, man. Consider it forgotten. And yeah, good for us.” Eric said. It was far from being forgotten but there was a time and place for everything. Even revenge. He had his priorities set and Nicole was on top of the list.

“I knew you would come to your senses. Seriously, I’m psychic. You have no clue how many people I’ve been betting with about you.” Junior said. He was smiling so wide that Eric was tempted to knock out his visible teeth, which were almost all of them.

You always were an idiot, Eric thought. The guy had always been too easy to fool. Eric almost laughed thinking about his childhood. Almost.

“So, I’m going to do you a favour and let you get started out immediately.” Junior grinned and Eric rolled his eyes internally. He was expecting Junior to milk him for all he was worth.

Good thing Eric was in shape. Otherwise, he would have been a goner. He had spent at least 6 hours a day in the past 3 months training. Most doctors would say that was bad for health. But most doctors didn’t know that gangsters couldn’t train any other way.

“What’s the job?” Eric asked. He crossed his fingers, he didn’t want a kill job. He never had one and he didn’t plan on it either.

“We haven’t been facing any major problems lately. I’m sure the country is still reeling from the death of Senior. He was, and I quote Tennyson, the ‘truest friend and noblest foe’.” Junior smiled. He thought he was so smart.