Oops?

Louis and I had been chilling on the couch with Freddie on the floor in front of the couch. Freddie was two years old at this point. Louis and I were watching TV and Freddie climbed onto the couch. I smiled at him and kept watching the tv. He'd learned plenty of new words and had been talking a little. It was weird hearing him talk since I'd been with him for the majority of his life. Louis and I both were kinda odded out by it, but it was something we had to get used to.

Freddie had brought a few blocks onto the couch with him and was playing. Freddie was playing with his blocks and we still had our eyes glued to the television. "Fuck!" We both heard Freddie's little voice squeal. "What in the?" "What did he say?" Louis and I both watched Freddie as he squealed the profanity again. I shook my head. "Guess he's been picking up on what we say." I nodded and looked at Freddie. "Freddie, do me a favor, and don't say that word again okay?" "Okay momma." I smiled and we continued watching television.

A little later that night, Louis and I were eating dinner and Freddie was sitting in Louis's lap. I took a bite of my spaghetti as Freddie blurted, "Shit!" I choked and finally regained my breath. "Baby we don't say that word either." "Daddy does. You do too." "Mommy and Daddy can say it but we shouldn't when you're around. They're bad bad words." Freddie nodded and ate his food. We finished eating and put Freddie to bed.

"I can't believe he said fuck and shit. We really need to watch what we say now that we know he actually listens to what we say." Louis nodded and undressed. "I didn't think about it until he said it earlier. Now I know we have to watch it. We can say swear words when we're not around him but aside from that, we've gotta keep it shut." I nodded. Normally I could swear if I pleased, but now I couldn't and it was weird.

Louis and I thought of substitutes for the swear words we used to say and had to train ourselves to use those instead of the normal ones. This wasn't going to be easy, and we both knew that. I really hoped that neither one of us slipped up and used the wrong word. I didn't want Freddie being taught to use those words and then use them in school once it's time for him to go.

Louis and I woke up the next day and reminded ourselves to use the substitutes. We got out of bed and went to Freddie. Freddie walked carefully down the stairs to the kitchen and I began cooking. I stubbed my toe and was about to yell fuck when I remembered to use another word. Luckily I remembered before it was too late. Louis went over to me and smiled. "Thank god you remembered not to use another word." I nodded and kept cooking. It wasn't easy to remember to use other words instead of swear words, but we managed.

I finished cooking and set the table. Freddie sat on Louis's lap again and we ate. "Now Freddie, you don't use those words we told you not to. Use the ones we've said today. Like flip and heck. Not the naughty ones mommy and daddy used. We don't use them anymore, and neither will you." Freddie nodded and ate a little bit.

Louis let him off his lap and Freddie went to the living room to play. "I'm glad he agreed to use the other words. If we hadn't said something, he probably would've kept using them." "I think us giving him other words to use helps the situation." Louis nodded and sipped his tea. Hopefully Louis and I would remember so Freddie wouldn't get in trouble.