Chapter One

It started the same way. Get up. Get ready. Go to the bus stop. Nothing about my morning routine changed. Yet for some reason I felt like today would be different, but that wouldn't make sense. Everyday it's been the same and I've gotten used to it. I've even gotten used to my one name. Vinnie. No middle name. No last name. Nobody has those anymore. We're all just numbers anyway so why bother trying to be unique.
Time to get back to reality. I stared down the street waiting for my bus with my earbuds in like normal. The dead tree was still there. The church was still there. The houses stayed the same. Everything was in its place like it should. Perfect.
I got on the bus after only a few minutes of waiting and sat in my usual seat. I really had no reason to worry about random people sitting with me considering I had no reason to save a seat for anyone. One of the things that make me stick out like a sore thumb is my lack of friends, which I'm fine with. I guess it's normal for an average high school student to have a large group of friends, I have none. I'm perfectly happy with being alone. No drama. Nobody to worry about. No change. Until now.
As I was waiting for school to start somebody bumped into me and we both dropped out stuff. Are we in a cliche romance novel? I shrugged it off and grabbed my stuff, helping him and we went out separate ways. Thank God that didn't get awkward. I glanced over at them and noticed they were a new student. Great, change. Hopefully he doesn't have any of my classes.
When I went to first period he was there, of course. I decided to gather up my courage and walk over to him. "Can I see your schedule?" I ask him. He reaches into his pocket and hands me a slip of paper. I look at it and my jaw drops. We have all the same classes. "Are you ok? You look upset." He asked me, seemingly worried. I didn't hear him, I ran out of the class and into the bathroom. No no no no no. I can't do it. Too much change. It's all going to get different. Thoughts swimmed through my mind as I sat in one of the bathroom stalls.
I hear a knock at the door. Assuming someone actually needed to used the bathroom I opened the door and tried to walk out until I realized. It was him.