Chapter Six

"What exactly is the point of me being here?" Lauren grumbled.

"We open in two days, we have to do some publicity!"

"And that requires me to stand around here in the freezing cold handing out flyers?"

"Yes!"

They were standing in the middle of the town square, with throngs of people milling about doing their weekend shopping. Camila had to admit that it was cold, but at least she'd put on a coat, unlike Lauren who was just wearing ripped jeans and a tight top which... wow. Still, she had no place to complain when she didn't even bother putting on a sweater.

"'Color Me Cute', opening on Monday!" Camila called as she handed some flyers to a man who was walking past. She looked over to Lauren, who was just standing around looking bored. She wasn't even attempting to talk to anyone.

"If you're gonna do nothing you might as well go back to your own store."

"And listen to LaFontaine's extensive list of flower puns?" Lauren scoffed, "Not a chance! Plus, the view here's not bad."

Camila looked around. Other than the impressive fountain in the middle of the square, the view was just shop fronts and a dull, grey library building.

Unless.. what that flirting? That was totally flirting, right?

Then Camila remembered what Lauren had says a few nights back. 'In a friend way.'

She shook her head slightly, laughing. She really had to stop getting ahead of herself. Of course they were just friends. Who'd flirt with her?

"You okay, cutie? You've been quiet for ages."

"What?" Camila jumped out of her skin when Lauren's hand touched her shoulder.

"You've kind of got that blank pop-people face on right now," Lauren said, lightly tapping her on the nose.

"Sorry, just thinking."

"What about?"

"The fact that we're not gonna have any customers on Monday unless you hand out some damn flyers!"

Lauren rolled her eyes before grabbing hold of a random person in the crowd who was walking by. It was a wide-eyed spotty teenager who seemed to be completely in awe of someone as beautiful as Lauren touching their arm.

Camila could relate.

"Hey, wanna disappoint your parents and make life choices you're gonna regret five years down the line? Try permanently marking your skin!" she smiled sarcastically before handing them a crumpled flyer and sending them on their way.

"Lauren!"

"What?"

"Why are you being so awkward and cranky?"

"This is just boring... I mean come on, how many people right in front of the library on a Saturday evening want a tattoo? Unless you're going for the single-mothers demographic."

"Well what do you suggest?"

Camila only began to realise she shouldn't have asked that when Lauren raised an eyebrow and smirked dangerously.

"I have an idea."

-

This was not what Camila had been expecting. She crossed her arms over her chest, feeling out of place.

Lauren, on the other hand, seemed in her element, weaving through people who were all dressed much cooler than Camila could ever hope to be.

"Owen!" Lauren yelled, waving down a huge dude who was standing at the front of the stage. He smiled and walked over to them both.