The Call

Based upon this life-giving photograph from 2x07:

I'M NOT OKAY
Why must we wait two weeks???

And yes, that is his t-shirt she is wearing.

***

Sun shone through the slightly open curtains, which covered the windows of the trailers bedroom. It was the morning after the arrest of the so called 'Sugarman' - the Southside High English teacher of all people. It was also the morning after his brutal murder in his own cell by the Blackhood himself. However, Betty wasn't aware of that yet. None of the kids were.

Right now, she was laid under the blankets of her boyfriend's bed, who she had recently reconciled with after having to cut him out of her life. By recently, she meant the day before yesterday - the drag race. Jug was probably the most understanding person she had ever known. He didn't judge, or assume. Not really. He understood why she had to break up with him, and why she couldn't do it herself.

There was a police frenzy happening. The Sugarman's body had been found in his cell, bullet in his skull - and there was an obvious culprit. The Blackhood. He had clearly seen Betty's exposé, and seen that he has been arrested. Who would've thought it, English teacher living a double life as a cruel drug dealer?

To be honest, Betty knew this wouldn't bode well for the Southside. This was just another excuse for them to be blamed for every wrong deed in Riverdale, especially by her mother. However, right now she was unaware of the recent events. Sleeping soundly not knowing that the Northside was going crazy, hiding in their homes, questioning how Blackhood could have got into a secure police station.

Little did Betty know, Alice had called her over and over again, and was still calling, worried for the life of her daughter who didn't return home last night. The youngest Cooper would have made up an excuse, but she wasn't exactly planning on staying the night.

Betty's eyes slowly pulled open, blinded by the bright light which was shining right on the bed. Sitting up abruptly, the Cooper girl noticed she was wearing nothing but Jughead's signature 'S' t-shirts. A faint smile etched onto her face, memories of the previous night fresh in her mind.

(Y'all know what I'm talking about 😏)

She could hear her boyfriend moving around in the kitchen, clearly cooking what smelt like breakfast. Suddenly, she was brought out of her trance by her phone ringing, which she picked up quickly. Panic struck her body as the realization passed over her that her mom had called 31 times. This woman.

"Mom?" Betty spoke softly, thinking up an excuse as fast as she could.
"Betty? Oh my god, you're alive. Thank god."
"What? Why wouldn't I be?" Betty honestly wondered about her mother sometimes. Did she honestly think that because she was out for the night that she would be killed? "You didn't hear? That Southside High English teacher, the Sugarman, he's dead. I guess Blackhood claimed his next victim."

Shock radiated through Betty's body. This was her fault. She exposed the Sugarman, and now he was dead. Sure, he was a terrible person, but he was a person none the less. If she hadn't found out, if she hadn't released his name, he would still be alive right now.

"Oh. Right. I'll be home soon mom." Betty whispered, hanging up and dropping the phone down on her bed.

(To be honest I think this is Betty listening in on Jughead's conversation with Penny Peabody but it works)

"Hey, you okay Betts?" Jughead stood in the doorway, concerned by the look on his girlfriend's face.
"I- I'm fine."
"No, you're not." Sitting down next to the blonde girl, the Serpent turned to face her. "Betty, is it about last night, because-"
"No, no, god no. My mom, she just phoned. The Sugarman. He's dead. Blackhood killed him. It's my fault Jug. I exposed him. I'm the reason he's dead." Her voice was deadpan, eyes blank. Quickly, Jug wrapped his arm around Betty's shoulder, comforting her a little. "Hey, it's not. It's not your fault. Don't say that Betts. He would have found out anyway."

For a moment, the pair of them sat there in silence, holding each other. Betty had always felt safe in his arms, and this was no exception. Despite where he went to school, despite the fact that he was a South Side Serpent, he was the same Jughead. Her Juggie. That same brooding beanie-wearing journalist with a secret heart of gold.

Sighing softly, Betty lay her head down on Jughead's lap, feeling him run his fingers through her blonde hair soothingly. "But-But if I hadn't told the police, or released it on my paper, he wouldn't have known."'
"Eventually he would have found out Betts. You know he wanted to kill the Sugarman, it was just a matter of time. You did the right thing, and it gave you the advantage we needed." It was a miracle that anything could calm the Cooper girl right now, now that she knew about the latest murder, yet once again Jughead Jones managed it.

"I have to go home. My mom's kinda freaking out." She sat up, climbing to her feet.
"I'll drive you. You're not walking home today of all days."