7 Minutes in Heaven - Pt 1

Time Since Bughead's Break Up: 3 months

Time Since Varchie's Break Up: 4 months

Time Since Barchie started dating: 1 month

Cheryl's House, Night of Graduation

***

Cheryl Blossom's graduation party was the event of the year. It was supposed to be legendary, and no doubt it would be. Every high school graduate would be there, well, pretty much. Even Jughead Jones had convinced himself to go.

Just one night, he told himself. One night and he could forget everyone forever.

That, of course, was a lie. He wouldn't forget his friends. Although he hadn't seen them since his break up with Betty, he did love them all. If you're wondering why Jughead hadn't seen them, it was simply because he had no reason to venture into the North Side. Or maybe he couldn't handle it.

Right now, students were steadily arriving at the Blossom's house, bringing alcohol by the gallon. The party was already well underway, several of the guest slightly tipsy only an hour or two in.

The next to arrive were Archie and Betty, the redhead holding a pack of beers, shortly followed by Veronica, who had decided to take Reggie as her date. Not to worry, nothing would come of it, except perhaps an odd hookup. Archie left a quick kiss on Betty's lips before leaving to put the beer cans on the alcohol table.

As soon as he had disappeared into the crowds, Betty's eyes wandered around the room, looking for someone in particular. It was silly, she knew that, but she couldn't help it.

Dating Archie had been a dream of hers for as long as she could remember, but now it was a reality it felt.... Empty. Sparkless. To be honest, the only reason she said yes when Archie asked her on a date was because she needed to move on from a certain beanie-wearing boy.

Now they had been dating for a month, and things were developing. Archie really cared about her. So, in the big scheme of things, the youngest Cooper girl could grow into dating him. It was nice, to just have a chilled relationship.

Veronica had given her blessing for Betty to date her ex. They were never in love, and although it was clear that Ronnie still had feelings for Archie, all she really wanted was for Betty to be happy. Even though she was well aware that Betty still loved Jughead.

Betty however, had been hesitant about the first date with Archie. It was breaking the first rule of the girl code, dating a friend's ex. But V was adamant that she should take the opportunity to have a much more casual relationship, and try to move on from Jughead.

"I'm back." The Andrews boy smiled at his girlfriend as he wrapped his arms around her waist. "Hey." Betty replied, eyes still searching the room.
"You ok?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry" Their lips met softly for a second, before Betty noticed a pair of eyes fixed on them. Pulling away, she could see Jughead Jones, mouth slightly open, staring right at them.

He looked broken. Betty never meant to hurt him, really, she didn't. Still, Jughead made a habit of hiding his emotions, and now wasn't an exception. Rolling his eyes, the Jones boy turned and left the room.

As she moved to follow him, Cheryl's voice flooded the house. "Everyone gather. It's time for a little game."

***

Not everyone could play at once, seeing as almost the whole year was there, so most of the guests were simply watching until their turns. Game 1 of course, involved Cheryl's special targets. Veronica, Archie, Jughead, Betty, a couple of her minions, Reggie, and the other jocks.

"Let's finish this the way we started it, right Veronica? 7 Minutes in Heaven." A cruel smirk appeared on Cheryl's face, "How times have changed..."
"And yet you remain the same stone cold bitch." Veronica retorted, narrowing her eyes.
"Well, we started with Archie the first time, let's move to.... J for Jughead."

Everyone's eyes fixed on him, as he let out a sour laugh. "I'm not interested in your little games, Cheryl.  Pick someone else."
"Not a chance loner boy. Spin the bottle." Her eyes were cold, staring right into Jughead's, and he knew he didn't have a choice. Slowly, the bottle was spun, spinning and spinning until it began to slow, passing Veronica, and Ginger, finally landing.

On Betty Cooper.

Mumbles passed through the crowds, and the jocks in the room jeered loudly. "My my my, the ex. I knew this game was a good idea." The red headed dragon smirked again, clearly pleased by the outcome of the spin. Jughead and Betty's eyes met.

"Well Betty? To closet or not to closet? Bearing in mind the hostess rules." For a moment, she was silent, eyes flicking between Archie and Jughead. Suddenly, she got to her feet, turning to the black haired boy. "I'm game if you are."

***

The closet door was slammed shut and locked, leaving the two of them alone for the first time in 3 months. It was silent.

"So, you and Archie then?" Jughead finally spoke up, sarcasm laced in his voice. "I guess."
"You guess? It was fairly obvious when you had your tongues down each other's throats." Betty scoffed at his words, anger building up.
"You know what you sound like - jealous!"
"Jealous? Why would I be jealous of a one-sided relationship! It's almost laughable!" Suddenly, the blonde girl's face dropped, head falling to the floor. Regret etched itself into Jughead's face, clearly realising that he'd hurt her. "Hey, I'm sorry. That was uncalled for-"
"No. You're right. God, you're right. What am I even doing. I'm dating your best friend, but I'm in a closet with you. And I don't even have feelings for Archie, I'm still in love with you, and all I really want to do is kiss you!"

They both stopped, frozen.

"Then why don't you?" Jughead Jones said.