Fool for You (2)

"So I'm thanking you today

Because of you, I'm now me"

-John Butler Trio, Fool for You

A few hours later, Evan and I were on our way back to his house, where the bus - and Claire - were still waiting. Time had, as usual, flown by, and after watching a few episodes of Keeping Up with the Krugers, Jenny had made us dinner and we'd ended up working out a chorus for a new song.

Unfortunately for me, my phone had been turned off, my extra left on the bus, along with my girlfriend. Claire wasn't one to enjoy being alone, and I already felt guilty, knowing how upset she would be. We'd left at two to go to Jenny's, and it was nearly nine.

"Do you want to just sneak inside?" Evan asked, eyes already sparkling with amusement. I gave him a dirty look and he laughed as I turned a corner. "I'm heading over to the Starbucks," I said. "I'll grab her something - don't let her see you!"

"I won't be there," he called back. "I'm taking Michelle to her school's dance."

I chuckled as he disappeared with a wave, loping off in the direction of his house. Michelle was his older sister, who's favourite pastime when he was home was bragging about how her little brother was a rockstar. Apparently it was a sibling thing, something I wouldn't understand.

It was rather quiet as I made my way down the road. Since I'd grown up on King Street, one of the busiest parts of Toronto, moving outside of Toronto made everything seem almost oddly quiet when coming home from tour. Our little sleepy town was small, quiet, and unimportant to the world - except for the fact that Skyline lived here.

As I walked past Shane's house, I considered dropping in to say hello to Jackson and Katie, then abandoned the idea. Though they had agreed he needed a break from the fame to get over his father's death, I'm not sure they agreed with dumping him small-town Texas.

I did, though. After all, the best adventures are the ones you don't expect. And Shane would be having the adventure of his life, if that Tessa girl I talked to had anything to do with it.

The Starbucks sign was fluorescent under the night sky, and the warm, coffee smelling air was soothing against the chill of the air. It was almost empty, which didn't surprise me. Most people in this town, other than the teenagers, stayed inside after nine, and the teenagers always partied down by the lake, where there was no cleanup.

Been there, done that.

I was the only customer in the shop, but the elderly barista seemed to be making a hot chocolate already. Either I came here way too often and she knew my order, or there was someone else.

The latter was proven when a young girl, no older than six, skipped out of the bathroom, hands still glistening from the water she had washed her hands with. I watched in amusement as she skipped towards the counter, her white blonde braid bouncing over her shoulder as she moved. When she reached it, she reached as high as she could, just managing to brush the top of the counter with her fingertips.

Not put out, she looked around, and her bright blue eyes lit up when they fixed on a chair at one table. She danced towards it, pulling it towards the counter with both hands wrapped around one leg, and climbing up on top of it, leaning against the counter with a huff.

I couldn't help but laugh. Little kids had always amused me, how they found a way to make everything they wanted to do work. The little blonde turned around at the sound of my chuckle, her ice blue eyes going brighter when they landed on me.

"Luke!" she exclaimed, voice full of excitement as she climbed off of her stool. Young fans were so adorable. Running towards my leg with arms outstretched, I laughed again when she hugged it tightly and leaned down,hugging her gently around the back. "Hi there, princess," I greeted her. She looked up with a gasp. "You know I'm a princess?"