She Looks So Perfect (3)

"Simmer down, simmer down

They say we're too young now to amount to anything else

But look around,

we worked too damn hard for this just to give it up now"

-5 Seconds of Summer, She Looks So Perfect

Luke

I pulled my beanie further over my ears, blowing into my hands to warm them. Looking back, it was rather stupid to not listen to Evan and grab a pair of thicker mittens, rather than the ones that loosely resembled socks with finger holes.

Evan pushed the thickly falling snow out of his hair, and the smile Toby was holding back grew larger. Evan raised his eyebrows and Toby grinned. "You look like you have a bad case of dandruff."

Evan rolled his eyes, though a smile tugged at the corner of his lips as I leant down, picking up a handful of the frozen mess and when Evan winked, dumping it on Toby's head.

My cousin let out a girly scream, covering his head with his arms and swatting as much as he could out of his hair before tearing off his mittens and attempting to claw the rest out of his coat. I started laughing harder when he attempted to move; with his chest pushed out and shoulders curled back to try and create as much space between his soaking jacket and bare skin as possible, along with the faces he was making, he looked like a runaway from a mental institute.

"Hot, Toby," Josh remarked, walking up behind us. Jenny followed her brother with Tegan, who was looking a bit moody at having to be around us for the next few days. Jenny had decided that this, our trip to Quebec, would be a great way to bond with us. Tegan seemed to think differently, judging by the spark in her eyes when she shot Toby a vehement death glare for attempting to talk when she had her headphones in.

My lips twitched at the memory of Toby retreating, looking hurt like a scolded puppy. When Toby noticed, he grumbled at me and leant down to pick up a handful of snow, only for Evan to reach out and shove him. I burst out laughing when he fell on his side, then simply covered his face and pouted. "I hate you all," he shouted, and I started laughing harder when Tegan's lips twitched with amusement, standing back behind Jenny.

Jenny was smiling as she nudged Toby with her foot. "Up," she instructed. "I don't want Melanie to think you're some kind of idiot when she gets here."

"But she already knows," he said, sounding a bit confused as he sat up, legs spread in the snow and bright red beanie sitting lopsided on his head. When Evan and I fell into hysterics at his expression, Jenny pressed her lips together to hide her amusement, holding a hand to her brother. "Get up!"

Toby took her hand and let her attempt to help him up, instead folding his legs beneath him and pushing up, performing a full turn in the way that was only possible for Toby Deron to stand up. Jenny rolled her eyes, letting go of his hand and helping him brush the back of his coat off.

Evan was watching, amused, when I noticed his eyes widen, instantly standing taller than he had a second before. Within the next instant, he was striding past me, a smile growing on his face. I turned to see him wrap his arms around a small body, leaning down to bury his face in her neck in the typical Evan hug. Her entire body was hidden from our view, but I faintly heard a giggle on the wind and grinned.

"Hayley!"

She looked like she was trying to step back, but Evan simply held on, and I could tell by the way his shoulders shook that he was laughing, as she was.

I heard a piercing scream of excitement, and looked around to see a crowd of people getting jostled. "Excuse me! 'Scuze me!" Melanie was shouting, sounding beyond excited and laughing through her words. I started running towards her and Toby chased behind me, and the group of elderly people Melanie was pushing through looked disgruntled, parting.