7

"can we talk?" you asked delicately. Dan's spoon, mounted with cereal stopping half way to his mouth

"about?" he swallowed, his already light skin, draining slightly.

"last night..." you whispered, drawing your slightly sullen gaze to his, he looked almost as terrified as you probably did. And you both knew why. The truth has slipped out last night, in a fit of rage and tears.

"whats there to talk about?" he fronted, pretending like nothing happened, a crease took place between your brows.

"you know what Dan, don't pretend like you haven't treated me like shit since ive arrived, don't pretend like –" he cut you off abruptly

"don't pretend what (name)?" his words were curt, and toned sharply "that you didn't dump me and then show up out of the blue after a year expecting things to be the exact same as you left? Grow up. This isn't a fairy tale, with your desperate happily ever after" You blinked, shocked by his suddenly truthful words.

"that. I want to talk about that." You pointed at him, his body positioned like he was ready to attack. "What?" he paused, confused

"that attitude, I want an explanation. Why are you being horrible to me when all I wanna do is talk?"

"Because I don't wanna talk!" He yelled suddenly. Causing you both to flinch. He sighed, pushing his now soggy cereal away from him across the counter. His fists spraying against the cold granite.
"I don't want to..." he whispered

"We have to. " you begged, as he brought his saddened gaze to your face. A recognition that you were right reflecting in the warm chocolate.
"You know we do" you licked your lips and he reluctantly nodded - hesitant at first.

"Where do you wanna start?" He huffed, walking towards the living room where you could both sit and face each other.

"Maybe let's start with your attitude" you almost asked, following after him quickly.

"My attitude?" He chuckled "I know... it's been shit. " he shook his head at himself, taking a seat against the cushions, arm resting around the back of the settee. You took your seat beside him, his arm surrounding your shoulders.
"Why?"  You pressured. And he rubbed his face anxiously.

"I... I don't know." He sighed "I can't help it, I don't want to be mean, but I see your face and it just. It- it..." he struggled for words and you frowned "it pisses me off just to look at you" you weren't expecting that. Your (eye colour) orbs widened in shock
"What- why?" You asked confused and slightly hurt.
"Like I said. I don't know..." but you thought you already knew. You hurt him, the day you left him, you broke him. That bottled up pain, that anger, began to lash out in spiteful words to you. You knew exactly how it felt to bottled up how you felt... it wasn't an excuse, and it wasn't an apology. But it was an explanation, one you could understand.

"I think we both kind of do..." you answered, seeing him nervously swallow and fix his position gave you your confirmation.

"I'm sorry" you both blurted, your face instantly turning peach. And he burst out laughing, the awkward tension unbearable. Yet, Dan couldn't stop laughing, and he eventually set you off. Your giggling filling the air, and for the first time. Since you had arrived, you were happy.