Chapter 12: As If It Were Hot Coal

The encounter with my dad was disturbing. He had told me not to mention anything to my mum, burdening me with yet another secret. My gut told me to tell her but I did not want to put my fathers life in danger, despite how much of an asshole he was.

Parker refrained from talking to me about my dad that week at school. I guessed he was being respectful. Tyler also got discharged from the hospital and wasn't pleased when he saw me in school with Parker.

Even when the days had passed, neither I nor Parker had enough courage to go through Hail's phone. I felt like it would have made no difference anyway but Parker believed we could have gotten clues.

That week my mother went out more often leaving me alone at night which was kind of scary knowing well that the killer had something of mine. My appetite had become pretty much nonexistent and I was having a hard time falling asleep. I was stressed out. I had fewer answers than I did when I started which made me wonder if everything was worth it.

Only one significant thing happened that week, however. On Friday Parker burst into the library, where I ate my lunch, holding a newspaper in his hand. He ran to my table and sat down panting visibly exhausted from the apparent running he had been doing. He passed over the newspaper.

The cover page of the newspaper was a picture of the place we found Hail's car. The story beneath it said that no car was found and that it was a silly hoax and a cruel joke.

"How is this even possible Parker?" I asked.

"I think that somebody knew where we were going that day."

"We need to warn my father!"

"No. Not right now. We'll leave at night. We might not know what we are dealing with. First, bring your phone I want to make a call."

"Why? You have your own phone."

"Does your phone charge end so fast nowadays?"

"Yes. I told you my phone has issues. Why do you ask?"

"Just give me your phone."

I gave Parker my phone and he made his call.

"Hello, dad." Parker greeted his father.

I couldn't hear his father on the other line.

"Yeah. My phone is dead. I was asking if you're going to come back." Parker went silent. "Great. Keep in touch. Bye."

"Parker, what was that for? You have your own phone."

"Yep. Just like I guessed. Your phone is tapped, Mariya. Somebody has been recording your conversations," he told me handing over my phone.

"What?"

"Yes. Has your phone been having some weird noise in the background when you are on a call? Or are you getting some weird ads and apps?"

"Well yeah. I ignore them though."

"Someone hacked into your phone. Mariya, someone is recording your conversations. That explains everything. We called the police using your phone so whoever is doing this heard everything. You'd better get a new phone."

Oh Crap!

***

Whatever Parker had just told me frightened me as if finding out Hails car was missing was not enough. When it rains, it pours. I was already paranoid and I could not seem to catch a break.

That Friday night, Parker and I were on the road once more heading to Motel 360. It felt like the journey went on forever until we finally arrived and hopped off the car running to room 17.