Chapter 27: Goody-Two-Shoes

Mariya's POV
Flashback

"Mariya, please just go with me. It's my eighteenth birthday for crying out loud!" Hail yelled over the phone.

"Shut up woman before you make me deaf. I will come along as long as you do not leave my side. You know how I feel about parties and I don't want to end up naked in some guy's bed. Where is the party anyway?" I asked.

"The party is in the Parkers Mansion. Classy? I know. Anyway, don't be dramatic Mariya, not all parties will end with you in a stranger's bed. Maybe you'll be lucky enough and end up in Parker's," she said leaving my cheeks burning up.

She always claimed that Parker had been desperately in love with me.

"Why Parker of all people?" I asked placing my phone between my shoulder and my ear trying as hard as I could to not drop it.

I proceeded to paint the nails on my left hand. I had been on phone with Hail for two hours straight and my arms started getting sore so I decided to apply nail polish to my fingers and toes.

"Mariya, I can feel your smile through the phone," which was true. "I told you before, the look he gives you when we walk down the hall is not just the we-don't-talk-but-let's-be-friends look, it is the hey-we-don't-talk-but-you-are-fine-as-hell look. I wish Tom would look at me that way."

Hail, of course, was probably joking because I always believed that she wasn't lucky to have Tom but it was Tom who was lucky to have her. With her light-colored skin, thick curly dark brown hair and dark brown eyes, any guy would be really lucky to have her. Not to mention her personality and the way the corner of her eyes would crinkle whenever she would laugh. She was every girl's envy but she didn't think so.

Hail was Gammery High's Queen B, basically but a nicer version. She knew it but she never craved attention since she got it everywhere she went. She and Tom were the school's power couple but they got distant for a while right before her birthday.

"Hail, we both know that Tom is head over heels in love with you and even though he can be a little possessive he still looks at you like you are his whole world."

"That's cute Mariya," she says sarcasm laced in her tone.

There was an awkward pause.

Then she continued, "Anyway, I have to go. I will see you tomorrow as we go shopping. Thank God we do not have school. I can't believe I have three days before I turn eighteen! Goodnight. I love you best friend!" she squealed before she cut the line.

Her excitement didn't show in her voice after I talked about Tom.

I just closed up my bottle of turquoise nail polish and placed it on my nightstand then switched off my phone and place it next to the nail polish. I ended up falling asleep on top of my bed cover somehow only to wake up to a pissed-off Hail right in front of me.

It was normal to see Hail in my house every day but not early in the morning when the sun had not risen. Her face displayed fury as she paced up and down my room from wall to wall. I didn't say anything. That was how Hail worked. I had to stay silent, watch her pace up and down my room at God knew what time, and let her speak her mind out.

Five...four...three...two...one...

"You wouldn't believe what happened right now!" She exclaimed.

I was worried that my mum would wake up but I knew she wouldn't mind. She loved Hail. I mean, who didn't?

"Does it involve you explaining how on earth you got into my house at three a.m?"