Va Va Kabloom

Ashley's phone chimes, awakening the two of us out of our pre-coffee stupor.
            Through half-lidded eyes, I glance at her and shrug, the sepia state of mind fogging over me again.
             Glancing at the caller ID (it's Clair, who left with Cassidy for the doctors' appointments earlier), Ashley puts her on speaker.
              Before she can even say, "hello," we hear a heavy, congested sob.
"What's wrong," asks Ashley, a crease between her pale eyebrows.
Between hiccups, Cassidy stutters out," I, wi-ith the, j-eep!"
"Slow down! Just breathe, Cassidy," I say, before she is promptly replaced with static as Clair takes over.
"We got into an accident with the Jeep. Some guy rear-ended us and drove off. Neither one of us caught a license plate," she huffs out.
Ashley curses and starts to pick at her lips. I groan, adding a few colorful words as well.
"Exactly," says Clair. "I'm going to call Sam and let him know about our dilemma, okay? I'll call you back."
              We agree, and Ashley offers to pick them up, which they're grateful for.
Ashley leaves as soon as the call ends, leaving me at home to try to get more work done. Instead, I'm too distracted and worried, so I sit at my laptop and stare.
-–—•——
             Once the girls arrive home safely, Clair fills us in on her talk with Sam.
             "They've offered to help us pay for some of the damages," she explains.
"Ugh, this is nice of them, but I don't want to have to be indebted to the guys."
"None of us do," Cassidy says comfortingly. "But it's the best option we have, so we should take them up on this deal."
Ashley concurs with Cassidy. "But, they shouldn't pay more than a quarter," Ashley adds.
               "That's the plan, then," Clair announces. "I'll call Sam and let him know." She leaves the kitchen, phone in hand. I can hear her quiet murmur through the wall.
                "I still don't love this, but this is okay, I guess," I say.
                 With that, we sit in contemplative silence.