Chapter 9: Ma Petite Araignée (OLD)

(Continued from Chapter 8.)

I gently stroked Amélie's head as she started to calm down and slowly stopped crying into my shoulder after a couple of minutes, only letting out a small sob every couple of seconds.

It's truly amazing, because of how long I've seen her as a cold-blooded heartless assassin before rescuing her, I was actually convinced that she'd be the same person to actually not feel sorry for the people she killed without the brainwashing. It's good that she can finally feel anything she wants now.

I continued to keep my arms wrapped around her as she calmed down by the second. Even though it was sad that she's finally regretting the bad killings that she's done, I still remained strong emotionally and mentally.

I spoke with the most gentle voice I've ever had, comforting her.

"Shh... It's okay, Amélie. You'll be fine..."

She continued to sob in my shoulder. Finally, after what felt like 10 years, Mercy came back running with a medical kit. She stopped a couple of feet away from us, in shock of seeing Amélie like this...

It's probably best for me and Amélie to be alone.

I looked up at Mercy as she looked at us with a mix of emotions. Shock, confusion, distress...

I mouthed the words to her. "Not now..."

She nodded and spoke gently. "Verstaden. We'll discuss what we can do with your eye later. I'll go help the others with healing. It seems like Talon is actually starting to retreat."

And she was right. I looked far out into the skies to see a few Talon dropships starting to leave. I smiled to myself.

Overwatch is stronger than I thought...

I took notice as Amélie moved her head to the side and laid it on my chest. She went quiet for about 10 seconds and stopped sobbing.

"Feeling better now, sweetie?"

She sniffled and nodded with her head laid sideways on my chest. As I said that, her grip from her hands and arms that were wrapped around me tightened. I guess she doesn't want to let go.

"Do you want to stay here for a bit longer? I don't think the others need our help right now. Talon's retreating."

She slowly nodded.

I turned on my earpiece the I put on when I changed.

"Winston, how you guys doing?"

Winston replied momentarily. "We're fine. Angela told me what happened about Reaper, and mostly with Amélie..."

"Yeah, we'll be okay. Will you guys be alright without us?"

"We're clearing out these last few enemies, so yeah. I'm proud of you (Y/N). Take care of Amélie."

"Okay. Thanks."

I turned off the earpiece. Afterwards, I gently pushed Amélie off me and stared at her golden eyes for a few seconds. When you really study them, you can see that they showed all kinds of mixed emotions. Fear, sorrow, sadness, and remorse to name a few.

I sighed and wiped off the tears that were falling off her face.

"You poor thing, what am I gonna do with you?..."

After I wiped off the remaining tears, she stared at my screwed-up eye with sympathy.

"Is it bad?"

She nodded and looked down, staring at the floor in shame. It seems like she's blaming herself for everything bad that's happened now. Eventually, she should accept the fact that it actually wasn't her fault at all, and it was Talon to give the blame for brainwashing her. Those sick bastards.