1.01 The Tale of Asgard

"Once, mankind accepted a simple truth, that they were not alone in their universe

"Once, mankind accepted a simple truth, that they were not alone in their universe. Some worlds man believed to be home to their gods. Others, they knew to fear. From a realm of cold and darkness came the Frost Giants, threatening to plunge the mortal world into a new ice age. But humanity would not face this threat alone. Our armies drove the Frost Giants back into the heart of their own world. The cost was great. In the end, their king fell. And the source of their power was taken from them. With the last great war ended, we withdrew from the other worlds and returned home to the Realm Eternal, Asgard. Here we remain as a beacon of hope, shining out across the stars. And though we have fallen into man's myths and legends, it was Asgard and it's warriors that brought piece to the universe."

Odin told the story as he and his two boys, Thor and Loki, walked into the Treasure Room. Odin's only daughter, Laila, followed behind, knowing her mother only sent her so she would not be alone.

Laila knew what this conversation was going to be about. It was going to be about which brother was to be king. A subject that had nothing to do with Laila.

Laila was different from her brothers. While both dreamed and desired to be king, Laila wished to leave Asgard and walk among the people of Midgard, aiding and healing them. Offering them warmth and light when needed. She wanted to be a beacon of light for them, not stay stuck in the palace her whole life.

Odin and the two boys stood before the Casket of Ancient Winters, "But the day will come when one of you," Odin walked forward to stand in front of his children. Laila took her place between her two brothers, "will have to defend that peace."

"Do the Frost Giants still live?" Loki asked.

Thor looked past Laila to Loki then back at his father, "When I'm king, I'll hunt the monsters down and slay them all!" Laila rolled her eyes as Thor mimicked what he would do, "Just as you did, Father."

"A wise king never seeks out war." Odin glanced between his three children, "But," he paused. Loki and Thor are up every word while Laila stared at the floor. She just wanted out, "he must always be ready for it."

"Why not make peace?" Laila asked, earning a scuff from Thor.

Odin glared at his son before looking down at his daughter, "Peace can only be solved through war sometimes, my dear." He slowly walked towards her, and kneeled before her.

She wrapped her arms around his neck as he picked her up and began walking out of the throne room.

"I want to live among them, Father. Among the Midgardians. I can protect them." Laila told him.

Odin chuckled, "I know you can. One day, you will be able to take your place. When the time is right."

Thor and Loki watched as their father and sister walked off. The two smiled at each other before racing after them.

"I'm ready, father." Thor spoke as he walked beside Odin.

"So am I." Loki added.

Odin smiled, "Only one of you can ascend to the throne. But both of you were born to be kings." Laila yawned in her father's arms, resting her head on his shoulder. Odin chuckled, "Tired already?"

Laila shook her head no, "I just wish to be back with mother."

"Of course." Odin kissed the top of her head.

"Mother?" Laila spoke as she and Frigga sat in her study

"Yes, Laila." Frigga put down her book to look at her youngest.

"What is my purpose?" The young girl asked, causing her mother to freeze.

"Whatever do you mean?"

"If I am never to be queen, what am I to do when I get older?" Laila clarified.

Frigga patted her lap, "Come here." Laila stood up and pulled herself into her mother's lap. Frigga caressed her daughter's face, "You are meant for so much more than to sit on the throne."

"I want to be on Midgard. I feel that is where I belong. Not here. Whenever I speak to Father about it, he's always so brief about it."

"Aww, my sweet." Frigga pulled Laila into her chest, giving her a quick peck on the head, "You are meant to change a lot of people's lives. You are the Goddess of the Hearth. Meant to be a beacon of warmth and light for all creatures great and small. I promise you. Your time will come. Don't fret."

Authors Note:
I highly suggest reading The Legend of Black Magic. It will help you understand the emotional connection to Bucky and the motivation behind her character. I feel like I'm the past, this book never really touched on the trauma of Laila loosing Bucky and how it affects her and Fandral's relationship.

I also plan on updating Anita's character. I've seen that a lot of people don't like her. Let me know some thoughts on how I could make her character better.