Chapter Thirty

"May God be with you, Stellar."

I nervously smiled to him. Gabriel walked behind me while I was accompanied by two guards on both side. My eyes were fixed on the handcuffs sealing my hands. Everything that has happened until now still feels surreal.

"This will be your last day on that body." kaswal na sabi ni Gabriel habang naglalakad kami. "I'm sorry if it had to be in the courtroom. Really, it sucks. I feel so bad but this was written on the Holy Calendar."

Napangiti naman ako sa sinabi niya. Gustuhin ko man siyang kausapin ay pinigilan ko ang sarili ko. Ayaw kong isipin ng mga kasama namin na nababaliw na ako.

Ngayong araw magaganap ang paglilitis kay Gaia Venice. After my near-death encounter with Auxen, I surrendered myself to the authorities and confessed as the suspect in the murder of Stellar Lumina.

We arrived outside the courtroom at the same time Conan did. Just like me, he was still handcuffed... but today he's going to be the witness while I'm the defendant on the court. This trial is supposed to prove his innocence.

"Hi. The weather today is nice." Ngumiti sa akin si Conan, walang bahid ng galit o sarkasmo. "Now I know why you looked awfully familiar to me. We met back in high school, didn't we? When I saved Stellar from your beating."

I pursed my lips. "I'm sorry, Conan."

I'm sorry for not loving you back. I pray that you find someone who will love you as much as you loved me. You deserve the best. Someday, you'll thank me for rejecting your feelings.

Binigyan lamang niya ako ng isang maliit na ngiti. Mas lalo akong humanga kay Conan dahil hindi man lang siya nagtanim ng galit kay Gaia Venice bagama't alam niyang ito talaga ang tunay na salarin sa pagpatay sa akin.

Nauna kaming pumasok sa loob ng hukuman.

"He's too tired to even harbor ill feelings for anyone."
Gabriel commented sympathetically. "I pity him. It must've been depressing to be dubbed as a murderer by the whole country."

"He didn't deserve any of this." malungkot kong sabi.

"He's nice. Bakit hindi mo nagustuhan iyon?"

I eyed him. "Hindi naman natuturuan ang puso."

He nodded in agreement. Umupo na ako sa pwesto ko at nagmasid muna ako sa paligid habang hindi pa nagsisimula ang paglilitis. Napakaraming tao, karamihan ay mga mamamahayag. Sinubaybayan ng buong bansa ang kaso ng pagpatay sa akin, at ngayon ay mailalantad na ang katotohanan.

"What's going to happen after this?" tanong ko kay Gabriel na noo'y pirmi lamang na nakatayo sa gilid ko.

"You'll be transported back to Oblivion until He bestows his judgment to you." He adjusted the tie of his suit. "Gaia will reclaim her body and by the time she snaps back into reality, she will no longer be sane."

My lips parted. "What do you mean?"

"It's part of her punishment. She will no longer enjoy the pleasure of peace. Every night, someone will be sent to haunt her in the form of nightmares. Iyon ang parusa niya. Patuloy siyang paparusahan sa mga panaginip niya hanggang sa masiraan na lang siya ng bait."

A slice of pity cut through my heart. As much as I despised her existence, I couldn't help but feel bad. I could only imagine how difficult things would be for her from this day onwards.

Gabriel looked at me in the corner of his eye. "Don't feel bad. She deserves it. Had it been you who killed her, you would've suffered the same fate." he softly explained.

Ngumiti na lamang ako at tumango.

My heart thumped when the door of the courtroom swung open and his debonair figure emerged inside. I have never seen him so gallant before. The look on his face was determined.