Chapter 5

Ansel woke up to the bright New York sunlight through his windows -- his phone read 10 AM. He stayed up on the phone with Lara till four A.M last night, telling her all about what happened with Viv and asking her for advice. He'd noticed that she sounded tired, but when he brought it up, she dismissed it and vowed to tell him later. She listened to every word he said about VIv, giving advice, although it was mostly him talking about how he felt.

Tomorrow, he'd leave for Amsterdam, and won't be back until three days later. He unlocked his phone and sat up on his bed, texting Violetta.

Morning, gorgeous! -Ansel

He got up and dragged himself to the bathroom, getting dressed for the day ahead.

*~*

Lara got out of her bedroom at 10AM, walking towards the kitchen to pour herself a bowl of cereal. She caught a glimpse of her roommate watching the TV on the couch.

"Morning, Chris," she said to the dark-skinned girl.

"Hey, are you feeling better? How's your head?"

Lara grabbed her bowl and sat down on the couch to talk with her friend.

"It's okay now. I think I'll be fine."

"Have you called him yet? To break up?"

Lara shook her head, paying more attention to the TV.

"You have to do it sooner or later."

"I can't do it over the phone. That's just wrong."

"He's wrong. And if you really want to see him, then I'll come with you. But you're not seeing him alone."

Lara sighed and nodded, complying, though dismissively. She remembered last night's phone call with Ansel, and how she wanted to tell him how much she wanted to come back to the interconnected rooftop, to the simple high school lives they led instead of a hard career, a difficult love life, and barely seeing each other again.

*~*

"I love you, too," came the response from the other end of the phone.

Ansel had been talking for an hour or so, trying to resolve the conflict that had happened last night. After a long time, Ansel finally convinced Violetta that everything between them is okay -- all the while not being sure with it himself.

"We can't do this anymore. I love you, and we can't have any more doubts, right?"

"Right. Of course. We'll talk later?"

"Okay, love you, bye."

The awkward tone in Violetta's voice and Ansel's nervousness only made the situation weirder. As Violetta hung up, Ansel stared at his phone, finding himself sending another text to his friend -- and it hasn't been 24 hours since the last one was sent.

Let's meet up! -Ansel

*~*

Lara stared down at the text message, unsure of what to do. The obvious answer would be to reply, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to today. As much as she wanted to meet up with him and everything, she was still scared of last night.

Ignoring her fear and telling herself that it'll be fine, Lara sent a text back.

Sure. 11:30 at Fish? -Lara

Lara's text was answered with a quick 'yes', prompting her to get ready. Having put away the bowl of cereal, she told Chris she'd be meeting up with a friend later today for lunch and that she'll be fine. As she got in the room and switched into jeans and a simple shirt, she applied concealer on the cheek bruise, attempting to make it look as normal as possible. She managed to smile at her reflection, though only barely as the bruise made it hurt.