Chapter 5

Jiyong waited for Dara’s sleeping form to show up on the bench. As her form solidified and her snoring intensified he continued to sit and stare on her face.

He eventually got tired of waiting and as she showed no signs of stirring from her slumber, he traced the outline of her face to get her attention. Her nose crinkled as he stroked his finger along the lines of her nose. Her forehead wrinkled as the soft touch went up and followed the subtle arch of her brows. Her eyelids finally fluttered open when he started to run his finger across her lashes.

He was about to glide his finger across Dara’s lips when she, “Do it and I’ll bite your finger off.” Dara narrowed her eyes at the guy hovering over her.

“Bite it and I’ll kiss you.” Jiyong challenged her.

“Eew. Kiss me and I’ll kick you where it’s going to hurt big time.” Dara countered and aimed a kick in the general direction of his groin. He jumped back just in time.

“Yah!” He swatted her foot away. She chuckled at him as she sat up and stretched her aching muscles.

“So what’s happening to your compositions. Got any news?” Dara asked.

He shrugged. “The agency said that they’ll look into it.” He sighed then he turned and looked at Dara contemplatively.

“How long have we known each other, again?” Jiyong asked.

“Four years or five?” Dara said. “I don’t know. I stopped counting. Why?”

“Time flies. It’s unfair, though. Cos we always talk about my dreams but what about yours, Dee? You never talk about them. It’s only fair that you share yours.” He prodded.

Dara nervously ran her fingers through her hair. “Uhm. I don’t know… I don’t want you to laugh at me.”

“Why would I? My rap compositions before were full of crap but you never laughed at me.” Jiyong answered. “Try me. I’m one of your best friends, right?”

Dara nodded without looking at him. He took her chin in his hand and turned her head so she could look him in the eye. “Do you trust me?” he asked. She nodded.

“Then trust me not to make fun of your dreams. You’re important to me. That makes your dreams important, too. So spill.” Jiyong encouraged the still awkward, shy girl in front of him.

“I want to be an actress and a singer.” She mumbled almost to herself. 

“Tsktsk.” Jiyong clucked his tongue at her. That earned him a frown from her. “You’ll never be one.” Jiyong told her in a neutral tone. That got him a fierce scowl and a swift jab on the stomach.

“You told me you won’t laugh at me.” Dara accused him.

“I didn’t. Did I?” Jiyong answered with a raised eyebrow.

Dara’s eyes widened in realization and her mouth formed a wordless no. She then hunched her shoulders and picked on the frayed hem of her favorite pajama top. “You’re probably right. I’ll never be an actress or a singer. I’m nothing like you. I don’t have any amazing talent.” She sighed.

A sharp twist on her ears got a shrill shriek out of her and she scowled fiercely at him. “There. Freeze that face. Now this kind of Dara, maybe she has a chance of fulfilling that dream. That Dara is fierce.” He flicked a finger on her forehead and her hand automatically grabbed the errant finger and gave it a painful twist.

“Owww!” Jiyong whined at her.

“Explain yourself, boy. You’re not making sense.” Dara twisted his finger further.

“Let go first, Ahjumma.” Jiyong replied. She reluctantly let his hand go.

“You want to be an actress and a singer, right?” Jiyong asked.

She nodded.

“Do you have a plan?” 

She shook her head.

“Dreams stay as dreams unless you make them into reality. You only let out your fierce “Ahjumma” side when provoked. Most of the time you’re all locked up inside. I’m guessing that in real life you’re not actively pushing for your dreams, right?” Jiyong asked her.

“Uhm. Maybe.” Dara hesitated and then her eyes lit up. “I auditioned for Glee Club once.”

“Auditioned?” Jiyong echoed. “What happened then? Did you make it into the club?”

Dara shook her head. “I barfed on the music teacher’s shoes and ran out of the room.”

“Did you go back and audition again?”

“Hell, no. I already embarrassed myself once. I’d be a fool if I would do it again.” Dara answered him with a look that seemed to tell him he’s crazy for asking such a stupid question.

“That’s exactly why you won’t make your dreams a reality, Dee. You, yourself, have given up on yourself.” Jiyong told her point blank.

Dara’s face froze at his words. A few seconds later moisture started to gather on her lower lids and began to overflow and drip down her cheeks. 

As her lips quivered in despair, Jiyong slid towards her and gathered her close. She bawled onto his shirt and cried like the loser she was. Jiyong continued to rub his hand on her back in comfort. The last thing she remembered was him telling her softly but clearly, “Don’t give up on yourself, Ahjumma.”