Chapter 3 - Haila

'Don't follow it! What is wrong with you? Do you want to get killed 'cause you're gonna die if you take one more step! Oh god, she's a goner. She took the step! Ahhhh!' I scream at the tv as a girl in a horror film we are watching follows a clown into a mansion.

I hug the pillow tighter and grab Joey's arm and squeeze it in terror.

'Ahh okay, okay, let go, Aila!' Joey says when I squeeze his arm a little too hard.

'Aila, show me your muscles.' Newt says with a laugh.

'Why?' I ask, showing off my arm muscles proudly.

'I've haven't seen many people hurt Joey.' He replies with a laugh. 'Okay, but I can see why you did hurt him.'

'Why thank you.' I say, taking a little bow. 'Oh my god!' I shout, jumping as the clown appears out of nowhere.

As much as I hate to admit it, I jumped, turning my head into Joey's chest and covering the other half of my face with the pillow. Face palm, am I right?

Everyone laughed at me.

'Sorry.' I mumble, embarrassed, pulling my head away from Joey's chest.

'Awh, it's fine babe, you can nuzzle into my six pack anytime you want.' He replies with a laugh.

I punch his arm jokingly right where I squeezed it earlier making him wince a tiny bit, I must be stronger than I thought.  Turning back to the tv, I yawn, checking the time to see  that it's almost midnight.

Leaning back on the sofa I feel an arm hang around my left shoulder and my eyes start to droop.

++++

When I wake up I notice the tangle of bodies all around me.  I lift my head and see that I am lying on Joey's chest, his arms are around me and he is still fast asleep.

Zack is lying next to me, squashed in between Joey and the back of the sofa, then there's Newt and Fin.  Newt's legs are on mine and he is hanging off the end of the sofa slightly so I can't see his head. His twin is lying on top of me and Zack, hanging off the side of the sofa, daring to fall off.

I pick one of the phones up off of the floor as Joey tries to move but is obviously stuck so wiggles for a moment before staying still again.  Then he stretches his arms over his head and looks down at me.

'Ay-up Aila.' He mumbles.  Gosh, morning voices are nice.

'Ay-up,' I reply, checking the time on the phone.  The screen flashes and burns my eyes, 8:03.  'It's only 8, go back to sleep.' I say to Joey who has put his arms around me again and is looking at his brother and cousins.

'Only 8? Ugh. Night, Aila.' He drops his head back onto the sofa and starts playing with my hair as I rest my head back on his chest.

++++

'Up, up, up!' Someone shouts, walking into the living room.

I look around to see Peter.

'Chores, c'mon.' He says, clapping his hands.

Joey sits up and rolls off the sofa, taking everyone with him.

'Umph!' We all day and we land on the floor, Joey and Peter laugh.

Of course Joey has to land on top of me.

'Oh hey Aila.' He says with a laugh.  'I got it!' He exclaims.

I take this chance to get back at him and stand up whilst he is still over me, causing him to fall back and land of him bum, this makes everyone laugh.

'What have you got?' I ask.

'Haila. Like 'hey Aila' put together.' He replies.

'Yes!'

'That's the best one yet!'

'I love it.'

I don't know who said what but I agreed, Haila is quite good.

'Alright then,' Peter says with a chuckle. 'Haila, you can either help Kate in the kitchen and with the little ones or help us boys on the farm.'

'Ah, can I do both?' I ask uncertainly.

'Sure, just let us know which one each day.' Peter replies.

Apparently the older boys always help Peter out on the farm on Sundays and whenever they can during the week whilst Kate looks after the little kids until later in the day when they all go into the centre of the village where they sell some crops or whatever and everyone in the village goes.  There is usually a big event with music and dancing and singing after a church service, apparently everyone in the village goes to church, even if they're not religious like most of the Jones family. 

Today, a Sunday, I decided to work on the farm, as much as I wanted to help Kate with the kids, I thought doing some manual work would be good for me seen as I haven't gone on a run or done any exercise since Friday, before I left the kids home, which I am planning to change.

I used to run everyday and then do some extra stretching and training afterwards.  I'm a very sporty person, see.  Trampolining is my main sport but I also play netball, hockey, rounders in the summer and swimming if I get a chance.

When I go to school here I'll have to check what clubs they have, if not I'll have to get into a club out of school.

On the farm we cleared up all of the last wheat and barley, ready to sell later on.  Peter and John went up to the barn and I think they might of killed some animals to sell which I think is disgusting but what can I do?

++++

'Kate, what should I wear for church?' I say walking into the kitchen after finishing on the farm and pulling some hay out of my hair.

'Well, I'm going to wear a skirt and a tshirt.  Just anything cool enough for the summer but not too revealing!' She replies.

I smile, thanking her and run upstairs towards my room that I've barely spent any time in and grab a towel and toiletries to go and have a shower.