Chapter 9 - An Apology?

I walk into assembly and part with Zoe, Maria, Felix, Luca and the rest of their friends.

'Good luck.' They all wish me as I walk to where award winners sit.

'You're Aila Phillips, aren't you?' The boy sitting next to me says. He has a curly afro and dark skin.

'Er, yeah,' I say unsurely. 'Who are you?'

'Bailey Cooper.' He holds his hand out and I shake it. 'I was at the fight, you're an actual boss, Aila. I can't believe you beat Muddy up.' He smiles, like he is remembering one of the best days in his life.

'Muddy?' I ask.

'Yeah, that's what most people call him, he's not that popular so when you beat him up, everyone went wild.'

Mr Hatchinson came into the hall and silence fell over everyone. My anger prickled through my body.

'Good afternoon, everyone, and happy Friday.' Cheers erupt through the hall but the headmaster holds up his hand to silence the school again. 'A slightly different start to our assembly today. As I'm sure you all know, Aila Phillips got into a fight on Monday. Well, today she is going to make an apology for her behaviour.' He turns and smiles to me.

I see Bailey give me a confused look out of the corner of my eye but I ignore him and walk up onto the stage.

The majority of the students break into cheers again.

I hold back a laugh.

'Hi everyone. Er, thanks for... that.' Laughter courses through my audience and I wipe my hands on my skirt to stop the sweat. 'So on Monday I got into a fight with Daniel Mudgett and I have been told to apologise for my actions so Daniel, where are you?' I look around the crowd and I see an arm raise in the air. 'Dude, I'm sorry for getting into a fight with you. Before I get any more into my apology, I would like to retell the events so everyone can get an insight into my side of the story. Sorry if it means that assembly overruns a bit.

'So, I walked down the hall towards drama on Monday morning and heard Daniel fighting with Lydia. I have no idea what that was about so don't expect a story on that. I kept walking because I don't like gossip or being involved in other people's business. So when Daniel came over to me and kissed me to get back at Lydia, I got annoyed.' Whispers break out through the students. 'Naturally, I punched him in the stomach to get him off me.' I let out a small laugh and continue.

'Daniel, I'm sorry I beat you up because you used me to get back at Lydia. And, by the way everyone, that's the main reason I did it. Because if you use me then you're going to get hurt. But if you use me to get back at anyone else, you've got another thing coming.'

I walk back to my seat and applaud erupts through the audience again and I grin at my speech, maybe that'll knock some sense into both Daniel and the headmaster.

++++

I walk out of the assembly hall, one of the last out but I'm greeted by many people cheering me.

I mean it's not horrible, but I don't like it. I got into a fight and I'm suddenly a hero. I smile at everyone and walk to the car park, trying to get away but they all follow me.

I get into the car, all of the boys are already in there.

'You're quite the celebrity, aren't you?' Joey says as he pulls out of the parking space. Fin elbows him in the ribs.

'Can I have your autograph, please!' Joseph calls, grabbing my arm around Jack.

'Did you stop to think that that apology wasn't really an apology?' Newt asks from behind me.

I turn to face him and see Sam sitting next to him. He has a book in his lap and glances up to look at me, then straight back to the page he is on.

'I didn't think it was fair for me to make an apology and not him. Although I started the fight, if he hadn't of brought me into his argument with Lydia I wouldn't have done anything.' I turn around and ignore Newt for the rest of the journey home.

++++

hey, sorry for the short and boring chapters recently

i just need to get into the plot more then it will start to get interesting, promise

m xxx