Chapter 8 - Suspensions & Celebrations

'Suspended? You just got suspended, Aila! Do you not understand what that means?' Kate shrieks as I get into the car with her and Peter.

'Yes, I do know what suspended means, I'm not an idiot.' I reply rolling my eyes.

'You've been at that school for 6 days and you've already been suspended. This doesn't only look bad on you, you know? It looks bad on us-' She continues.

'Yeah, yeah, it looks bad on you too. I know!' I shout, my anger rising again. 'Do you not realise that I know what this means? Because I do. I worked really hard to make everyone like me and now look. I stood up for myself and the other girl that, let me add, I have never even spoken to-' I'm cut off by Peter who shouts over me.

'Don't you dare shout at Kate-'

'Do not cut me off. I've never spoken to her yet this boy uses me to get back at her so I punched him to stand up for myself and for the girl because one, no one uses me, and two, no one uses me to hurt someone else. That's why I did it, because Lydia looked so distraught and I couldn't stand to see her like that, let alone anyone.' I shout.

My guardians sit in silence, too stunned to talk or even move. I slump back in my seat in the car and look out the window.

++++

'Haila, why didn't I see you at school today?' Newt asks as he walks into the barn where I'm moving hay.

'You're not allowed to speak to her.' Peter tells Newt bluntly.

'Why not?' He asks.

'She was suspended and is also grounded.'

'You got suspended? For that fight with Daniel Mudgett? I thought it was brilliant when I heard about it, he's an idiot.' Newt laughs.

'Newt, I'm warning you now. I'm not in a good mood and I've already told you that you're not allowed to speak to Aila.'

I for the rest of my suspension, until Thursday, I am not allowed to talk to, or communicate with, any of the Jones boys, Kate and Peter took my phone so I can't talk to Liza, and I have tog work on the farm with Peter. But it's only 2 days.

I was allowed to text Liza and let her know why I won't be talking to her after another huge argument and a huge guilt trip with Kate and Peter.

I still get to eat with the family though so I find out a lot of what's happening then. Like today, for example, during dinner, the boys were gossiping about school and generally having loud conversations so I could hear everything they were saying without asking questions. Kate and Peter didn't pick up on it.

++++

I rub my sweaty hands down my trousers, trying to calm my nerves. I step out of the car and head towards the front gate of school. It's Thursday, I'm not grounded anymore and I've finished my suspension. I'm going to have to buck my ideas up if I want people to like me, including the teachers.

I take a deep breath and walk through the door of the school.

'It'll be fine.' Newt whispers in my ear.

I nod slightly and walk confidently down the hall. Heads snap to look at me. People whisper to each other. Then everyone erupts in applause.

Zoe walks up to me, a huge grin on her face.

'I missed you so much.' She squeals.

'Me you too.' I squeal back and give her a huge hug.

'Everyone loves you, Aila.' She says.

'Excuse me?'

'Everyone loves you. They all think what you did was amazing. People can't believe Daniel Mudgett used you to try and hurt Lydia. Firstly, everyone loves Lydia and secondly, they think you're a boss for standing up for yourself.' She starts walking to geography. 

Joey catches up with us, clapping with everyone else.

'Look at you, you little hero.' He greets.

'You psyched me up saying everyone hated me for nothing.' I say and push him into the crowd.

'Yeah, sorry about that.' He laughs, scratching his head.

'Aila, aren't you the big celebrity!' My geography teacher, Mr Parham, comments as I walk into the room with Zoe and Joey.

'Alright, Sir.' I greet, walking to my seat.

'Ah, Aila, Mrs Hart, the deputy head for punishments, wants you in her office.' He says.

'Ugh, okay, bye guys.' I say to Joey and Zoe.

++++
'Aila, hi.' The deputy greets me.

'Hi.' I reply.

'Now I know this isn't ideal or nice at all, but Mr Hatchinson has told me to tell you that you have to make an apology to Daniel Mudgett tomorrow in assembly, in-front of the school.'

'I'm sorry, what?' I spit.

'You have to make an apology to Daniel in assembly tomorrow.'

++++

Sorry for the short chapter but it was a nice ending I think.

I hope you liked it

What do you think of angry Aila?

It killed me to write her like that because she is such a loving character but I wanted her to have a bit of a rough past and this is a nice suit I think

Anyways comment and all of that

M xxx