Chapter 5

It was around mid afternoon as the gang got all dressed up and came with Cindy Lou and her family down town. It was the start of the Whobilation as all the Whos were cheering, partying, singing, there were marching bands, you name it. 

The adventure kids looked on as they walked through the downtown madness.  

"Code red! Stop everything!" Cynthia suddenly cried out, causing the gang to all turn to her. 

"Cynthia, what's wrong?" David and the rest of the gang asked, concerned that something bad had happened to their friend. 

"I got a rip in my dress" The young fashionista complained, showing them a tiny rip in her festive red Xmas dress. 

The other adventure kids groaned, while Teeders said. "Cynthia, for the thousandth time... the fashion police aren't real"

Cynthia still pouted the rest of the way while the gang walked with Cindy and her father. 

"Dad? My friends and I have been thinking about the Whobilation" Cindy told her father. "And we may do something drastic"

"That's fine, dear" Lou wasn't really paying any attention to Cindy. "Ask your mother" 

"Hey where'd she go?" Brock asked, looking around with the others to see that Betty had disappeared somewhere in the crowd.  

"Honey! Honey!" Betty soon came out of the crowd back over to Lou, Cindy, and the others. She was holding a traffic light for some strange reason. "Look, I just found the cutest light for my Christmas display"

Just then, everyone heard a few cars crash and turned around in the direction where the sound came from. 

"Gee, now I wonder where she could've found that?" David asked his friends about Betty's new Xmas light sarcastically which made them all snicker a little. 

"Hurry up, we're gonna be late" Betty led her family through the over-flooded crowds.   

Everyone gathered around town hall as the mayor was about to announce the nominations. 

"And now, the nominations... for that Who among us who best typifies the qualities of Whodom and Whodery... the Whoville holiday cheer-meister! 

All the Who citizens in town cheered with delight. 

"Do I hear a nomination?" The Mayor asked the crowd.  

"We nominate the Grinch!" Cindy Lou and the adventure kids all called out as loud as they could. 

This made every other Who all gasp in shock and a few even baffled. 

The Mayor laughed at the little girl and her interesting new friends. "My, my, my. What an altruistic daughter you have there, Lou. Along with those peculiar group of kids she has as friends" 

"Thank you" Lou replied, while the adventure kids slightly glowered towards the mayor. 

"Cindy?" The Mayor gestured for the little Who girl and her friends to come up, which they slowly did, approaching the snobby mayor. 

"Let me quote a verse from The Book of Who" He told the kids while his assistant handed him the book. 

"The term 'Grinchy' shall apply when Christmas spirit is in short supply" The Mayor recited, reading a paragraph phrase in the book. 

"I swear, he wrote most of this garbage" David whispered to his friends, thinking the Mayor totally wrote The Book of Who only on his beliefs himself. 

"Now, I ask you, does that sound like our holiday cheer-meister?" The Mayor asked Cindy in particular. 

"True, Mr. May-Who" Cindy said. "But The Book of Who says this too: 'No matter how different a Who may appear, he will always be welcomed with holiday cheer'"  

"Indeed she's correct" The adventure kids agreed with smiles, knowing Cindy was definitely right. 

The crowd of Who citizens started chattering in their thoughts, thinking the kids made a pretty good point. 

"Yes" The mayor began, stammering a bit. "But the book also says, the... 'The award... cannot go to the Grinch, because... sometimes things get the lead-pipe cinch'" 

"You made that up!" Cynthia glared slightly at the mayor, knowing without a doubt. 

"Yeah, it doesn't say that" Cindy added. 

The Who citizens looked to the mayor in questioning.  

"No, it does" The Mayor had to disagreed with them.  

The Who citizens then looked back at the kids. 

"What page?" Cynthia and the twins asked with their arms folded. 

The Who citizens looked back at the mayor again.  

"Oh... lost my place" The Mayor lied. "But it's... It's in here!"

"Yeah, right" Cynthia and David grumbled together under their breaths and rolled their eyes.  

"But the book does say 'The cheer-meister is the one who deserves a back slap or a toast. And it goes to the soul at Christmas who needs it most'" Cindy proclaimed. 

"And I believe that soul is the Grinch" 

Cindy then turned to the rest of the crowd of Who citizens along with the adventure kids. 

"And if you're the Whos I hope you are, you will too" Cindy told the crowd. 

"That's right!" Kali, Cynthia, Teeders, David, and Ann said. 

"Christmas! Love and joy! Yeah!" Brock cheered like a crazed fan, but was making his point. 

"They're right" many other Who citizens started agreeing with the kids. 

Cindy and the adventures kids smiled, happy that their plan was working out and making a different to everybody. 

"Fine" The Mayor huffed. "You people want to waste a perfectly good nomination. Why, it's up to you. But I am telling you, the Grinch will never come down" 

"And when he doesn't, the Mayor will wear the crown" Whobris proclaimed.  

"Oh, we'll just see about that" Kali said, looking to the snobby mayor for a second. 

The large crowd of Whos cheered, getting ready for the Whobilation celebration. But Cindy strangely left, with the adventure kids following her. 

"I swear, this is even more weirder then the time you, the twins, and your cousin Jake Spankenheimer tried to convince your family that your grandma got ran over by Santa's reindeer" Teeders mentioned to Kali, about one of her and the twins' past Christmas adventures as the continued walking.   

The adventure kids went with Cindy out of town, into the snow, and all the way up to Mount Crumpit, knowing who awaited for them up there.