Chapter 8

I still found myself at Joe's Bar and Grill that night. It had become so routine i guessed being out here alone still felt more comfortable. I was also craving a bacon cheeseburger.

"'Sup kid," Ralph greeted me from behind the counter.

I waved and gave a small smile. Ralph was the owner of the place, ironic because it's called Joe's Bar and Grill and Ralph is no where near a name like Joe. He told us it was a more memorable and typical name so he went with it. Tori and I just found it funny.

"Bacon cheeseburger with extra fries?"

"Yep, you know me," i said as i took a seat on a high chair instead of the usual booth.

"Where are your two friends today?" He slapped a patty onto the grill with his large, rough hands and proceeded to flip it rather gracefully. Maybe i could work here and continue on the business.

"Party."

"Not your thing?"

"Nope."

The usual people at Joe's were seated comfortably in their regular seats, mostly people in their 40's and 50's like Ralph. Tori always worried she'd catch something like a mid-life crisis from one of them. Ralph welcomed our presence because he said it added some 'youngness' by which he meant 'youth' to the place.

Just as i was thinking everything was in it's place, the door opened, the little bell at the side signalling so. A tall boy clad in a grey hoodie walked in, his posture a little slouched. It was Chris.

He sat on a high chair that was two high chairs away from mine. It was a little awkward if i ignored his presence just as it was trying to get his attention, but i figured the former would have been a tougher facade to keep.

"H-hey, Chris," i said a little louder than usual as i leaned in and waved my hand a little. I wanted to make sure he noticed me on the first attempt.

Thankfully, he did.
He looked up from his usual mode of staring at whatever was on a table and looked a bit surprised.

"Oh, hey," he said, soft but with a twinge of shock in his voice. He wasn't wearing his glasses and his bangs were side swept.

"Bacon cheeseburger for you, extra mayonnaise." Ralph planted the plate of greasy but surely delicious food right in front of me.

"What would you have mi boy?" Ralph turned to Chris to ask him.

Chris looked a bit hesitant, as if he didn't know what to order. It was probably his first time here judging from his awkwardness (although he was slightly awkward all the times i had seen him before).

"I'd recommend the bacon cheeseburger," i chimed in, hoping it was the help he needed. If i couldn't help him with Physics, maybe i could be of some use in this social context.

There was a visible sign of relief when i said it and Chris ordered it straight away. He gave me a small smile as a show of gratitude.

"Coming right up," Ralph said, routinely slapping another patty onto the fiery grill.

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked him, only after taking a few large bites out of my burger to satisfy my ravenous apetite.

"Dinner..." he pointed out rather obviously. I did an inward sigh, why, no shit Sherlock. I didn't attempt to start another conversation after that. The burger was a lot more important at this point.