Bazaar

Maine
They are in the middle of a carefree and fun conversation over frappe and cheesecakes when RJ's phone rings. He ignores it. By the third ring, Maine already nudges his arm to answer the call. "Sige na. Baka importante. Ok lang."

So he does.

"Mark. Anong aten?...I called her and cancelled kanina...Thank you for your help, Pre, but I'm good. I don't think I'll need a blind date anymore...Well, kind of. Basta kasama ko sya ngayon...Sige Pre. Saka na tayo magusap, busy ako. Kita tayo bukas!" RJ smiles from ear to ear as he presses on the end call button.

"Ok, RJ. Spill. What was that all about?" She is curious what that phone call was about and she has a feeling it has something to do with her. No, it's not a feeling. It is about her. And yes, she's smiling despite her futile attempt to sound serious.

He pauses for a heartbeat and puts his phone down on the table. "So that was Mark." He chuckles. "Nagsumbong sa kanya yung blind date ko kasi I canceled our date."

She raises her forefinger and wags it forward, laughing softly. "Haluuuuh. Lagot ka, Richard. Umiyak yun for sure." She snickers, turning her face sideways to hide her blush. She couldn't bring herself to feel sorry for the girl because RJ cancelling his date means she gets to spend more time with him.

"Huy, grabe sya. Hindi naman siguro plus it's a blind date. We technically don't each other yet so I'm not sorry for what I did."

"But you could have gotten to know her if you'd only gone out with her. You don't know me either anyway. I bet you still have time if you leave now."

"Pinapaalis mo ba ako?" He frowns, his eyes sad. She worries for a little bit, pauses then pinches his cheeks. That makes him smile.

"Eto namaaaan. I'm just giving you options. Ang cute mo magpout. Para kang payb."

"May date na nga kasi ako. Eto kaharap ko o. And for your information, I know you more now that I did last night."

She throws a crumpled piece of paper napkin at him. He only laughs. "Nakakainis kaaaa!" Nope, too late. She's blushing now.

"Ikaw kasi eh. Ayoko na nga kasi ng blind date."

"Oh sige, but answer me this. How do you know me, sige nga?"

"Ok. First off. Ang tagal mong magligo ok? You sleep talk. You--"

"I'm gonna let that first observation slide because that's true but I sleep talk?" She knows she does and she worries that she might have said something last night that could potentially turn him off. "Sige, anong sinabi ko?" She challenges, raising an eyebrow and crossing her arms over her chest.

"Oo nga kasi...pero hindi ko sasabihin." He blushes at this that gets her even more curious.

"Ano nga kasi..." She pulls on the sleeve of his shirt with pleading eyes and her lower lip protruding.

"Basta nga kasi! Tapos you bite the end of your straw kapag nagiisip ka. Pinaglihi ka sa whipped cream no? Mas marami pa ata yung whipped cream kesa sa mismong kape sa drink mo, o. You got the woke-up-like-this look down pat. Wala kang arte sa katawan, so far. You are one classy, smart, beautiful, sexy woman and I don't understand how Henry could have just let you go like that. And I--"

She presses a finger on his lips effectively stopping him from talking any further. "Ok na, ok na po. Susmaryosep. Point taken. Sige na. Come on, let's get me out of this dress na."

A playful smile lingers on his lips underneath her fingers, his eyes widened, feigning surprise before he lets out an exaggerated gasp. "Nicomaine Mendoza! Sana sinabi mo ng maaga para di tayo agad nagcheck out sa hote--Aray!"