Sunset

Maine
“Luh, RJ, sasabog na ata tenga mo!” She teases, deliberately running her thumb and forefinger over the curve of his ear, then pressing its lobe, his ears turning ever crimson by the second. She feels beads of sweat form on his temple and she smiles almost deviously.

Ano RJ, haharot ka pa ba?

He stays silent until they reach the ladder, taking Maine’s wrist and putting it over the third rung from the bottom, then with his fingers wrapped around her calves, takes one leg after the other to the bottom of the ladder as he slips his head out between them.

RJ, teka lang naman! She squeals internally as his hands linger around her calves even after he already separated himself from her.

“Akyat ka na. I’ll be right behind you.”

She carefully climbs one step after the other albeit shaky legs until she reaches the concrete floor of the roof deck. She’s not exactly aerophobic but the feel of RJ’s warm hands on her skin made her weak in the knees.

She is breathing in the fresh scent of pine trees and marvelling at the view of Taal Lake below her when she feels strong arms wrap around her waist. Her hands instinctively reach for them. He gives her shoulder a quick peck before resting his chin over it. “What do you think?” He asks.

"Ang ganda dito, RJ!" She leans her head back and rests it on his shoulder as she melts into his arms. She is only grateful that he doesn't see her face or he'll find her eyes closed, her lower lip caught between her teeth.

RJ, why do have to be so sweet? Pano pag natapos na tong araw na to?

She finds herself longing for his warmth when he loosens his arms and tugs at her wrist.

"Tara, we’ll miss the sunset. Ang ganda pa naman ng view natin from here.” He takes a blanket from the paper bag he brought and lays it on the ground. He then pops a bottle of champagne and pours it over 2 glasses, handing one out to Maine as she sits cross legged on the blanket.

“Champagne talaga, RJ?” Maine chuckles, remembering how the alcoholic drink played a big part of why they are where they are right now.

“Oo naman. Bilang pasasalamat. Kundi dahil sa champagne, magkasama kaya tayo ngayon?” He looks at her intently, beaming.

“Touche.” She says, clinking her glass with his.

They sit facing the sunset as they watch varying shades of blue, pink, orange and purple paint the skies and the sun slowly sinks behind the clouds, over sips of champagne, bouncing off ideas on what RJ can do with the roof deck. They agree that turning it into a bar makes a lot of sense.

Perfect may just as well be the understatement of the day but as much as she wants to stay with him, like this forever, she knows this will eventually have to end. And in their case, it’s going to be in the next few hours.

“RJ?” She starts, not exactly knowing how he’ll react to her question but she continues anyway. “Do you always take your blind dates up here?”

“I figured you’ll ask that question. And the answer is no. In fact, pangalawa ka pa lang sa mga dinala ko dito sa roofdeck. Si Alex ung una. Pinakita ko to sa kanya before I decided to buy this property para gawing restaurant three years ago.”

She somehow feels relieved. They fall back into comfortable silence until she couldn’t wait any longer. One other thing is bothering her and she needs to know now before they leave Tagaytay so she faces him and with the calmest voice she could muster, she asks, “RJ, what are we doing?”

There I said it.

© mainedcm

A/N:

Happy Coldplay Manila sampahan moment anniversary. 😍

Short update but I hope it's still worth reading. Thank you for readers like you ellenheight who understands. 😊

As usual let me know what you thibk by commenting or tweeting down below.