Doorstep

Maine

Ready?”

She nods. She’s ready to go home but she isn’t sure if she’s ready to let him go yet.

They take the elevator up to her unit. Silently, watching the marquee above them change numbers, they hold onto each other in a tight embrace as if they are holding on to every single second they have left before he has to say goodbye.

Their hands laced together, they take the last few steps to her unit.  She keys in the code into the keypad of her digital lock then grips the door handle.

“Now I feel better leaving you alone. Good choice on security.”

“Isa sa mga conditions ni Tatay if I’ll live alone dito sa Manila. Nasa Bulacan kasi yung buong pamilya ko. You wanna come in?” She faces him and smiles, her face hopeful.

“Wag na siguro. Magpahinga ka na. Alas onse na  e. And you have work pa tomorrow.” He declines, rubbing his nape with his hand, but she feels his hesitation.

“Oh, ok. So I’ll see you soon then?” She croaks, masking her disappointment with a curt smile.

“Oo naman!” He assures her enthusiastically.

She finally turns the knob and opens it slightly, then closes it again before facing him. “Thank you for last night. And today. I had the greatest time.”

“Me too. Sobra.” She fishes something out her pocket and takes his wrist, laying it in the palm of his hand. “Something to remember me by.”

“Uy, keychain! ‘Do more of whatever makes you happy.’ He reads the text in cursive writing out loud then smiles at her. “I will.”
He takes his car keys out and immediately loops in into the key ring. With eyes reduced to slits and a wide bedimpled smile, he dangles the keychain in between them.

“Kaya pala lagi kong nakakalimutang bumili ng keychain para dito. Ikaw pala magbibigay saken e.”

“Asusus!” She laughs softly, lightly pinching his tummy.

RJ was still in one of the stalls earlier at the bazaar when she saw the keychain dangling from one of those revolving shelves. She smiled when she read the text on it and immediately bought it before RJ came back.

“But really, thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“So?” He asks again. They stand facing each other, their shoes pointing to who their hearts desire.

They suddenly have no words. She takes a quick glance at him then bows her head, her cheeks turning crimson yet again. Today may just hold the record for the most number of times she blushed in a day, ever.

He tips her chin up with his fingers to meet her eyes and in those few heartbeats, they only stare at each other, their hands now on their sides, like they suddenly don’t know where to put them when all day, they are all over each other.

She bites her lip and takes a step away until her back is now against her door. She is about to reach for the door again when RJ grabs her wrist before it even lifts an inch away from her thigh. He gently trails his touch to her arms and up her shoulders, until his hands reach her cheeks.

“Goodnight.” He whispers, their faces inching closer to each other until they’re just a hair’s breadth away.  He pauses and looks into her eyes before pressing a tender kiss on her lips and if she isn’t leaning against her door, she probably would have lifted her left foot up ala Mia Thermopolis.

It’s a simple kiss really, chaste even but there’s something about it that is so dizzyingly sweet, she is thankful her hands are holding onto his shoulders for support.

Wala na. Masyado akong maraming kilig sa katawan para makatulog.

Her eyes are still closed when her lips suddenly feel cold from the absence of his lips. She only opens her eyes when he kisses her cheek. “Pasok ka na. Tulog ka na agad ha. Goodnight.” He reminds her in a whisper.

“Goodnight, RJ.”

“Goodnight, Maine.” He hugs her tightly one more time, groans and lifts her off the ground. “Arggh, I’m gonna miss you.”

“Ang OA natin. Daig pa natin ang magjowang LDR.” She says as she wraps her arms around him.

“Hindi ko din alam kung bakit.” He answers as he sets her down. “Eto na aalis na talaga.” He takes her hand and kisses her knuckles.

She finally gathers the strength to open her door and let herself in. She quickly kisses his cheek and waves goodbye as she slowly, ever so slowly closes her door, gradually obscuring her view of his smiling face and waving hand. And like in a cliché romantic movie, she locks her door, sighs heavily, clamps her hands over her mouth and giggles.

“Ok self, kalma. Baka nasa labas pa sya.” She mutters to herself.  “Pero sheeeeet, teka lang naman, yung kilig koooo!!!!”

***

RJ

He remains standing on her doorstep, battling with himself, his hand rubbing his face and combing his hair.

She invited you in, ikaw ang tumanggi.

I should go back to my car. Magpapahinga na si Meng. May ibang araw pa.

One more glance. Isa pa. Gusto ko pang makita ngiti nya.

RJ, muntanga ka. Pwede mo naman sya puntahan ulit bukas. Ang OA mo.

When he finally decides to take that tentative step towards the elevator, he hears her delighted squeal from inside her unit.

Walk away, RJ.

He finally convinces himself, mustering any semblance of strength he has left, to reluctantly walk away,  but not without that that pie-eating grin on his face.

Ikalma mo kilig mo, Tisoy.

A/N:

Short update lang muna para hindi anti-climactic. Cheret! Ang orte ko lang po.

As always, unbeta'd, unproofread but let me know what you think. You know where to find me on Twitter or just comment down below. 😁