Time to Pay the Piper

James and Thomas walked up the stairs to the second level of the silent library. They had just left debate and were going to do research for the new topic.

"I hope they have the book I need. If they don't I'll check the public library." James whispered softly while sifting through books.

Thomas was staring blankly at the books as he read each spine for the title.

He shrugged lazily, and mumbled a quiet and forced "yeah".

James sent him a glance and pulled down a book to flip through it.

Debate had been weird. Maybe Thomas was disappointed by what happened. He was pretty pumped to put Hamilton in his place today, but he was never given the opportunity, as Hamilton made sure to never debate Thomas.

"Looks like you already put him in his place?" James offered about Hamilton.

Thomas glanced at him and rolled his head, rubbing the back of his neck. He looked tired.

"Yeah, I guess."

"You know like, maybe he was too afraid to face you?"

"No he wasn't." Thomas said immediately.

James looked at him, somehow feeling like he offended Thomas.

"I mean-" Thomas shook his head. "No what I mean is he, was probably being petty. You know, like the silent treatment."

"The silent treatment from Hamilton? Unlikely. "

James answered, but Thomas seemed to dismiss the conversation, so he let it slide.

James and Thomas chose a table and began to take notes. It was about thirty, maybe forty minutes later when movement caught James's eyes, and he looked up to see Aaron and Alex coming up the stairs whispering.

Alex's gaze landed on them and immediately took on a completely unreadable expression, even for James.

James turned his gaze to Aaron who made eye contact for a split second before looking away immediately. The two started walking away.

James tapped Thomas's arm and he looked up at them.

"Should I tell him? " James asked quietly, his nerves beginning to act up.

Thomas got up slowly, not taking his eyes off them. "Yeah.. " he said absentmindedly. "I can get Hamilton out of the way for you."

The two got up and sprinted to the pair speed-walking away from them.

Thomas put a hand on Alex's shoulder and turned him around.

"Al-Hamilton."

James shot Thomas a confused glance.

He almost called him Alex. He noted.

"You avoided me-uh, us- " he motioned to James. "In debate. Any particular reason?" He asked, trying to seem smug, but to James it looked incredibly forced.

James turned his body to face Thomas now, inspecting every move he made while confronting Hamilton.

Aaron, who stood behind Alex and had his head turned down but his eyes turned up, was inspecting James as he eyed Thomas.

James frowned as he examined the staring contest Thomas and Alex were currently having.

He turned his exasperated gaze to Aaron who looked away immediately and turned away from the three others rubbing the back of his neck.

James glanced at Thomas and Hamilton who were seemingly having a wordless conversation.

"Uh, Okay..." James said looking at them. He was eager to be alone in Aaron's company.