first bell ; 7:15

Rule #1 of a Code Red:

Do not allow any students in or out if your classroom. Lock all interior and exterior doors.

-

"Shit. This is not happening!" I muttered and picked up my pace. First bell had rung about three minutes ago and to say I was lagging was an understatement. I felt two hands grab my waist and I jumped. Turning around and ready to throw some punches, I came face to face with my best friend, Michael.

"Mikey what the hell? I'm going to be late if you don't let me go!" I laughed and lightly hit him on the chest.

"Quinntin. You know I love you, right?"

"Michelle. What's with the soppy moment? I'll see you next period. You can survive Frenks for an hour. You do it all the time." I sighed and kept walking. Mikey in turn picked up his pace and cut in front of me.

"Quinn Evans I'm serious. I have this... this bad feeling. Like a really bad thing is going to happen. If something does happen, I want you to know that I love you." He said with a worried look on his face.

"Mikey relax. It's not like there's going to be a Code Red or something." I sighed. When his demeanor became even more stressed, I gave in. "Ok. Michael Clifford. I love you to where ever the hell Buzz Lightyear is from and back. Happy?"

"He's from Earth, but I appreciate the attempt. Same to you, sissy. Same to you." Mikey replied and kissed my forehead before running off to Frenks' class. I continues on my way and burst through the door a few seconds before the bell rung. Granted my school is about the size of a small college, but my laziness attributed to my tardiness greatly. I took a seat at one of the back lab tables and got my book out of my bag.

"Miss Evans. Cutting it a little close aren't we?" I heard and turned to the speaker.

"Cal. You're late like every day. I had a minor car hiccup, but I made it." I replied, focusing my attention on the figure strolling through the door. That figure was none other than Luke Hemmings. Luke was captain of our soccer team, and damn was he good. He walked to the back of the room, pausing at my table.

"Hey Quinn. Mind if I sit here?" he asked and gave me a half smile. When I didn't respond for a full second, Cal kicked my table.

"Oh sorry! Of course you can sit here." I rushed and smiled.

"Mr. Hemmings can sit there after he receives his tardy pass." Ms. Grover interrupted. Luke groaned and stood back up. "Rules are rules, Luke. It's time you learn that."

"Sometimes you break the rules for the right reasons." he mumbled and walked out of the class. Before Ms. Grover could start her lesson, Calum's hand shot up.

"Excuse me, Ms. Grover? Can I go to the bathroom?" Calum asked and everyone laughed. Though Cal is known as the class clown, that doesn't mean that everything he does is hilarious. Rolling my eyes, I scanned the room in search of Calum's best friend, Ashton. When I couldn't find him, I got the attention of Chelsea. Chelsea is a long time friend and Ashton's long time girlfriend. The two are inseparable, but in a good way. Catching my stare, she smiled.

"Where's Ash?" I mouthed across the room.

"Bad accident on 25. He'll be late." She mouthed back and shrugged. I returned the gesture and went back to reading the science book. Tattooed to the book's inside front cover were names in arrow hearts and insults towards many people. There were doodles and ramblings. It was a senior's text book through and through. Cal walked to Ms. Grover's desk to retrieve the bathroom pass and walked out of the door. Just as the door shut, there was a knock. Ms. Grover signaled for Jimmy to get the door since he was closer than she was. Luke walked in and out the pass on our teacher's desk. He walked to the back and plopped down in the seat. He turned to me and smiled a small smile, tugging on his lip ring a bit as he did so.

"Did I miss anything interesting?" He mumbled and opened his text book.

"Nothing at all"

"Exactly what I would thin-" Luke was interrupted by the sound of the intercom coming on.

"Teachers. We would like to go into Code Yellow procedures please. Code Yellow and this is not, I repeat not, a drill." Ms.Grover and some students pulled the blinds on the windows and put the colored paper over the door, While they were doing this, Eric moved a table to block the door. Ms. Grover motioned for us to whisper and return to our work.

"What's a code yellow?" Chelsea whispered.

"It's like a step before a Code Red. It's when they think something bad's happening, but they're not 100% sure." Luke explained an I nodded along. "We had one in 6th grade, remember Quinn?" Luke asked.

"Yeah that sucked. Some bank robber was being chased through town so they shut the schools down too. It was awful." I added and went back to reading. Just then, the intercom came back on and we heard screaming. The entire class went silent.

"Teachers." Scream. "Students." Bang. "Faculty." Pleading. "Code Red. Code re-" The line went dead. And then all hell broke loose.

----------