Chapter one: Reunion

Aisha hated the waiting room. One, It was boring. Two, It smelled like nasty medicine. Three, She could hear the screams of the inhabitants of the hospital. She really didn't want to come to The Guidance Center, a mental institute in Chalmette, Louisiana, today but her Auntie Jay insisted she see her mother.

"Jones?" A tired voice said. Aisha stood from her seat and walked towards the voice. "Hey Mabel."

The nurse known as Mabel looked at her with tired hollow eyes. "Hello Aisha."

"Mom still keeping you up?"

Mabel gave her a dry smile. She shrugged." You know your mother." Aisha smiled and nodded. "Yeah." Mabel nodded and lead her to a door. "She's in her room today." Aisha raised an eyebrow. "She was too tired to go anywhere else." Mabel informed her. Aisha nodded and went through the door.

Tianna Jones a.k.a the croc lady, was a thirty eightyear old woman of African and European descent, her mother being mulatto (mixed) and her father being African American. Long tresses of wavy curly hair ended five inches above her rear end, which when she stood, proved to be very large in size and in length. And smooth delicate reddish-brown skin that glowed red in sunlight, but it was her face that really draws attention. A nose resembling that of westerners, perfect bone structure resembling that of a Norwegian's, and full pink lips. Needlessly to say, Tianna Jones was beautiful.

Aisha stopped at her mother's door. It read ROOM 201. She took in a breath and exhaled. She placed a shaky hand on the doorknob.
'Here we go.' She thought.

She opened the doorknob to find her mother sitting in a chair painting. She tapped her knuckles on the door. Dark brown met hazel. Her mother just sat there and looked at her expression blank.

"Mom- "She said.

"Are they here?" She asked. Aisha looked confused.

"Who mama?"

"Them." She answered.

Aisha decided to play along.

"No mama ain't nobody here but me and you." Her mother nodded in understanding.

"Nobody follow you did they?"

"No mama."

"Good. Now get over here and give yo' mama a hug." She squealed happily. Aisha smirked and ran into her mother's open arms.

"Mama I knew you was frontin'." Her mother laughed.
"Well baby, you know you gotta make sure nowadays." She got up and sat on the bed and patted the spot next to her. Aisha smiled and sat next to her mother.
"So how my baby girl doing?" Tianna asked ruffling her daughter's kinky curly hair.

"Mamaaaa!!!" She exclaimed happily. They shared a laugh.

"I'm doing good. I made an A on my science test." Her mother nodded her head.

"Good. Good. Dat's my girl. Smart like yo' mama." Aisha looked down shyly.

"So how the kids at school treating you?" Aisha didn't answer right away. Her mother knew something was up.

"Isha?"

"..."

"Isha sweetheart?"

"..."

"Aisha!" Aisha Dunois was at lost with words.
"It's okay baby. You can tell me." With that being said Aisha took a deep breath. She licked her lips.

"Well," She started. "Some of the people at school been making fun of me 'cuz how I look."

"I'm ugly." Tianna looked at her daughter sympatheticly.

"Look baby you are not ugly. You're unique." Aisha ripped the jacket she was wearing off revealing her arms.

"Look at me mama! I'm hideous! Don't nobody want a girl wit' some skin disease!"

Tianna looked at her baby's arms. Unlike her mother's, her skin was mocha brown and unlike her mother's, her skin was ragged-like and rough. Odd shapes and patterns inhabited the skin on the top part of her arms.

"Just like an alligator's." Her mother mumbled.

"Exactly!" Aisha shouted.

Tianna scanned her child's neck and face. It was the same on some parts of her neck and face.

Aisha huffed. "And to make matters worse. I got this!" She stood and turned but not before she pulled something out her pants.

"I have a tail!!!" She shouted. In her hand was indeed a tail like object. It was three inches wide and ten inches long with dark brown patches resembling that of an alligator's. She then sat down looking miserable.

"How'd I'd get like this?" She asked sadly.

She heard her mother sigh.

"Baby you were just born that way. And there's- "

"But why?" She asked.

Her mother looked at her as if she had something to say, but didn't say anything.

" I mean why couldn't I've been born normal and look like you!"

"*sigh* Listen baby. There's something you should know." Aisha looked at her mother with curious eyes. "What?" She asked.

"Well." Her mother said. "It's about your father."

Aisha eyes widened slightly.

"What did your Auntie Jay tell you about your father?"

Aisha thought for a moment. "That he...was very tall...and very black." Her mother burst into a fit of uncontrollable laughter.

" What?" Her mother just shook her head.

"She *giggle* really said that." She laughed again.

"Well..." Aisha said. "Was he?"

Tianna calmed down a bit. She looked at her with a serious face.

"Well he was tall and his skin was black."

"But he wasn't just your average Joe. No honey yo' daddy was special."

Aisha tried to get comfortable. She could tell this was going to take a while.

"Let me see. Where do I begin? Well baby, for starters, your father's name was Ray. Ray Dunois."

"He was creole." Her mother explained.

"He was born and raised in New Orleans." Aisha gasped. "New Orleans?!" She asked excitedly.

"The bayou specifically."

"Wow..." Said in awe.

"But mama. Auntie Jay says y'all were born in Georgia."

"We were."

"Then how did you and daddy meet?"

Tianna Jones smiled.

"I'm glad you asked. Well, It all started that one faithful day in New Orleans sixteen years ago."