The Mistake

Climbing onto his twin-sized bed, Romano flipped open the last page of the diary.  It had been written the day before Spain left.

Dear Diary,

I know I shouldn't be feeling this way, but things aren't working out with Romano and me. He refuses to listen and I honestly think he hates me. I don't want him to hate me, but I don't want him to be completely miserable either. I think he'd be better of with Austria. Austria is better at getting people to follow his orders, and Feliciano is actually willing to follow them. I hate to admit it, but I need Feli more than I need Romano. Romano is just too difficult.

I'm not going to let Romano know about this. He'd be better off if I didn't tell him. That way, he'd appreciate Austria more than he does me. I've tried, but I honestly can't handle him anymore. His little brother appreciates me more than he does, so I think we'll get along better. I hope Romano will understand...

Tears filled Romano's eyes as he scanned the page. Did Antonio really think he was this useless? Was he really hated this much? 

I should've expected this, he thought, wiping his face. Everyone has always loved him more. If that tomato jerk wants Feliciano, he can have him! He hurled the diary across the room, burying his face in his pillow. He didn't notice the sound of the front door opening. His angry sobs blocked out the noises that were coming from downstairs. He didn't know Antonio had just arrived back, or that he'd put the bookcase back where it was, or that the Spaniard had noticed how Romano organized his books for him. He didn't know Antonio was on his way upstairs to find him, or that he'd decided to keep Romano because Austria didn't want Romano back, and Antonio definitely wasn't going to give the young Italian to France.

The only thing he heard was the door to his room being opened, and he froze.