Chapter 4

Dakota's Point of View

I didn't know what to say. I didn't know she had been through so much. I saw 2 tears stream down her face. "I knew it.", she said. "No,No,No,No.", I said,consoling her. She fell into my arms. "I'm sorry, Dakota. I shouldn't have told you.", she said between sobs.. "It's okay, Raniyah. That wasn't your fault.", I reassured her. She continued to cry and cry. I Balled my fists in anger. I wanted to wring his neck with my bare hands for causing her this pain. She sat up and consoled herself. "I'm fine now, i just want to go home, I think. I'll call Lani and tell her to come out.", she said puling out her blackberry. She pressed a few buttons and put the phone back into her purse. "Does Lani know?", I asked. She shook he head. "She never understood why I didn't talk to my mother. She always urged me to tell her why, but I just can't. What if she hates me?", she asked. It seemed as if she was talking to herself rather than me when she said the last part. I reassured her it was okay and texted Lani off of her phone. Lani came running out of the mall and hopped in the car. Her smile quickly faded as she looked at Raniyah. "What the fuck did you do to my mother, you white bastard?!", she yelled at me. "LaelaNi Chanel Bradley! Have you lost your damn mind? Don't you ever talk to a grownup like that! Do you understand me?", she screamed. Lani kept her head down. "I said do you understand me?!", she screamed. Lani said yes and leaned back in her seat. There was an awkward moment of silence until I started the car. The only thing that was heard was the occasional sniffle from LaelaNi. I stopped in front of Raniyah's home. Lani was the first to jump out. "Sorry, Dakota. I will call you tomorrow.", she said with a weak smile. I nodded my head and kissed her lips before she got out. I waited until she was safe in the house before I drove away.

Raniyah's Point of View

Lani was grounded and confined to her room. I can't believe she did that! I don't know what has gotten into that girl. "Girl, no she did not! Why would she do that?", Jayda asked. "Girl I honestly don't know. She just flipped out I guess.", I said into the phone. Me and Jayda talked a little bit more. We hung up. Just as I was about to fix something for me to drink, I heard noises from Lani's room. I walked to her door and burst in. She was laying on the bed with some boy who looked to be about 18. Lani jumped out of bed and ran to the door. "You better get up and get out, now!", I yelled at the older boy. He scrambled to put on his shirt and left my house. "Mama I-", Lani started. She stopped when she saw my face. I had tears streaming down my face. "Mommy, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to!", she yelled. I went downstairs and got on my phone. "Hello.", I heard Dakota' voice say into the phone. "Please come over.", I cried. "Raniyah? Are you crying? I'm on my way.", he said.

Dakota's Point of View

I wanted so desperately to know why she was crying. I hope it wasn't because of anything to do with the conversation we had. I was going a 90 in a 55. I finally arrived at her house and saw that her living room light was on. I rung the doorbell and she came to the door. She had a glass of wine in her hand and she looked like she had been crying. She immediately threw her arms around my neck and started to cry. I picked her body up and carried her to er couch. "What's wrong Raniyah?", I asked. "Lani..she- she- she- had a boy over without my permission.", she sobbed. I couldn't believe it. Lani didn't seem like that type to do tht. I just rubbed circles in her back why she cried. "Where did I go wrong?", she asked. "Honey, you didn't go wrong anywhere. LaelaNi is just being a teenager. She's hitting that point where she does stupid stuff and make mistakes.", I reassured. She laid her head on my chest. I let that sink in.

Raniyah's Point of View

I kept replaying Dakota's conversation in my head. Or the rest if the night, we drank wine and watched Best Man Holdiday. I was just getting settled when I heard my door creak open. "Mom.", Lani said. I sat up and looked at her. " Yes?" "Can I come in?" "Of course." "I'm sorry, mommy it was a huge mistake. He begge me and I caved." "It's okay." "You're not gonna whoop me?" "No, lani." She got into the bed and snuggled closer to me. "You're grounded, still." "I know." She snuggled coser and I kissed her hair.

Author's Note

Lani being growwwwwwnnnnn. Mmmmmm. How do y'all feel about Raniyah and her mama? I haven't updated in a long timeeeeee. I missed it! Go follow my beautiful cousin @jbrad187661. She doesn't write but she reads. And votes. And comments lol Enjoy.