Chapter 3

It wasn’t long before the teacher came in. Her name is Mrs Vickery. She was probably around her mid-40’s and the bags under her eyes suggested she most likely doesn’t sleep enough, but then again who does?

Maths was the only class I ever concentrated in, probably because I’d been put in a class separate from my friends and I didn’t have any distractions. I scribbled down the work on the board onto the lined pages of my notebook. Nothing new, same old Pythagoras’ theorem bullshit I learnt about back in Brisbane. Not that I was an expert on it or anything, I just remembered what to do.

The rest of the day consisted of repetitively meeting new teachers, getting lost on campus while looking for my classes and receiving the once-over from stuck up rich girls with ribbons around their perfectly tied ponytails. The final bell couldn’t have gone off any slower…

* * * * *

After arriving home with Grandma, I headed straight up to my bedroom, kicking off my uncomfortable and distractingly shiny new school shoes onto the carpet and diving face first into my bed. The first day of school had sucked every little bit of energy out of me.

I ended up falling asleep right there and then.