Introduction

It was June, shortly after Sirius' death, when Minerva McGonagall appeared at the portrait guarding the Gryffindor common room dormitories. The students had all packed up, and were to leave the next day if they had not already. After muttering the password, Professor McGonagall stepped into the common room to find it as clean and neat as it had been the first of the school year.

"Mr. Potter!" she called up the stairwell leading up to the boys dormitory. "Harry Potter, please come down into the common room!"

Harry, having just shoved the last of his sweaters into his suitcase, perked up at the sound of his name and turned towards Ron, who was laying languidly on the bed across from him surrounded by all of his unpacked clothing. Ron gave him an inquiring look, and Harry simply shrugged before making his way down to the common room.

Professor McGonagall looked impatiently up the stairwell until a shaggy head of raven black hair looked out over the banister. "Sorry, Professor," he apologized hurriedly. The padding of his sock-covered feet against the stairs echoed throughout the quiet chamber until he stood still in front of Minerva.

Minerva looked at Harry and attempted to keep her thoughts on his appearance from showing on her face. He was dressed rather nicely for someone who had experienced the loss of a father figure, his burgundy Weasley sweater tucked in the front of his jeans along with his white undershirt. His eyes looked bright and alert, and he seemed to be taking care of himself well, compared to many after they lost loved ones. In a fleeting and unwelcome thought, Minerva noted, he'd been becoming a pro at this, at losing his loved ones. In another not-so-fleeting, equally unwelcome thought, she wondered, how much more would he have to lose before he could rest?

"Mr. Potter, Professor Dumbledore is expecting you in his office," she said, clasping her hands in front of her. "He has something important to discuss with you before you leave."

"Alright," Harry said, adjusting his glasses on his nose. "Thank you, Professor. I'll head down right now."

Harry walked past McGonagall and over to the entrance, where a few inhabitants of the dormitory kept their shoes. He dug his own pair out and moved over to the couch in front of the fireplace to put them on. McGonagall stood next to the couch and watched him idly, until she realized that he had been staring back at her incredulously.

"Professor, are you all right?" he asked carefully, tightening the laces on his left shoe.

McGonagall shook herself a little, embarrassed at having been caught off guard by a student. "Fine, Mr. Potter, thank you."

Harry nodded and stood up. "I'll be off, then," he announced, moving towards the portrait door. He looked back. "Are you coming, Professor?"

McGonagall nodded and stepped forward to hold the portrait open for Harry. After he had passed through and she had watched him turn in the direction of the Headmaster's office, she called after him, "Harry!"

He looked back, blue-green eyes full of surprise at hearing his first name. "Yes, Professor?"

"Enjoy your break, if I don't see you again before your departure."

Harry smiled back at her, and said, "You too, Professor. Thank you. For everything."

As he turned and walked off, Minerva wondered how Severus could ever consider the boy self-righteous, because she had just seen him suppress one of the greatest pains he had ever experienced to give her a genuine valediction.

"Harry?"

He looked back again.

"Stay safe this summer."