Chapter 8 - What's Up With Sayori?

A/N - (most of this chapter is the chat with Sayori, but at the end there's my own special Natsuki scene which is important to the story~ )

Matthew's POV

It's already Sunday. I've been getting increasingly anxious about Natsuki's upcoming visit. I keep telling myself there's no reason to be nervous, but it doesn't help much. I wonder if she'll act any different when it's just the two of us? 

Meanwhile, she's been texting me a lot.

We sent each other a text after exchanging numbers to double-check our phone numbers, but it turned into a conversation. She's almost a different personality on the phone, using tons of emojis and cute language. She also really likes complaining about things, but I kind of saw that one coming. 

But putting Natsuki aside...

I haven't heard a thing from Sayori since she left the club early the other day. It's not like we text each other all the time or anything, but I've been worried about her in the back of my mind. Between what Sayori said, and what Monika said...is it really okay for me to put Sayori's feelings aside when she might need me?

I decide to visit Sayori before Natsuki comes over. Rather than asking, I simply text her "I'm coming over", much like we've done in the past. Once I reach Sayori's house, I knock on the door before entering it myself.

Again, we used to play so often that we've made it a habit of simply entering each other's houses like we were family.

The house is quiet. Sayori isn't anywhere on the first floor, so I assume she's up in her room. It's already strange of her to not run down and greet me. I head up to her bedroom, where I finally find her.

"Sayori?" I call out before entering her room.

"Hi, Matthew~" Sayori greets. 

I sit down in her room, Sayori forces a smile but it's easy to tell that she's different. There's a moment of silence between us. 

"You haven't come over like this in a long time, have you?" Sayori points out quietly.

"Ah...I guess you're right..." I say back, "It has been a long time. Not much has really changed, has it?" Sayori's room is as messy as it's always been, I recognise the same stuffed animals and wall decorations that she's had for years now.

"Ehehe~ If you came over more often, it wouldn't be such a mess." She lets out a giggle, but I can hear the fakery in her voice. Her tone says it all...

"That's because I end up cleaning it for you..." I reply, with a small smirk appearing on my face.

"How come you suddenly wanted to come over today?" She asks innocently. "Aren't you supposed to see Natsuki today?" 

"Well yeah...wait, how did you know that?" I ask in confusion. Sayori had already left by the time we finished discussing that in the last meeting. 

"Monika told me." Sayori says simply. "It's only natural for her to keep me informed about the festival preparations, right?" 

"Ah, that's true." I reply. "But what about you? Aren't you going to be helping Monika today?" I ask curiously.

"Of course! But I'm just helping her online." She explains. "We didn't plan to meet up or anything."

"Ah, so it's just me and Natsuki then..." I say awkwardly.

"Yep~" 

There's more silence between us. Sayori stares in a random direction. Everything about her behaviour is really uncharacteristic. I finally get to the point.