Part 13

Jim came to the shuttle bay. He saw a a occupied wheelchair laid by a shuttle craft that looked different. It wasn't like the worn and used shuttle crafts with large windows. He saw the design was the most unusual. He approached the shuttle. The back end was down. The window was on the front instead of being on both sides. How unusual. The occupant of the wheelchair stood up gripping onto the human's wrist.

"Admiral Cartwright?"

The two men turned their heads in the ensigns direction then shared a glance toward each other.

"Admiral," Spock said.

"What do ya expect?" McCoy asked.

"We cannot reveal," Spock said.

"Not intendin' to do so, peaches," McCoy said.

The two men shifted toward the human.

"Why did you want to speak with Mr Spock?" Jim asked.

"I wanted to forewarn him of somethin' that he might live to regret," McCoy said. Jim's heart sank. "It was mission related, Ensign Kirk.

"It shall happen either way," Spock added.

"I guess you're right," Jim said.

"Of course I am right," McCoy said. "we all regret thin's when we lose them and get hurt by it," he gestured the elder toward the bed on the side of the shuttle craft. Spock let go of the human's hand. He turned his attention onto the human. "Listen, your friend, Doctor McCoy, was supposed to have a lon' and prosperous life. With the way thin's are goin'. . . "

Jim grew concerned.

"What's going on?" Jim asked.

Serving on the Enterprise so soon. They were not deep into space. Leonard might catch Xenopolycythemia earlier than scheduled. And slowly die before his colleague's eyes. Ten years, the cure would have been found. And Leonard would have been dead. McCoy looked up toward the concerned young man. He wanted to give him the formula for the cure but the prime directive indicated that he could not. Perhaps they will find the flying colony earlier than expected and the events will---No, it wouldn't. Leonard would stay with his rushed marriage. And die there aboard the ship being cared for by a young woman. Spock and Kirk had emotional connections to him. They would have stayed behind a little longer and set everything into motion doing whatever they wanted. Captain's orders prohibited lower ranked officers from disobeying those orders. That would have earned in their careers being dashed in a court martial.

"He might not be around in the next decade," McCoy said.

"What do you mean?" Jim approached the shuttle.

McCoy turned away then walked toward the front.

"Admiral Cartright--" The shield went up. "Admiral!"

The back end to the shuttle craft closed. McCoy started up the shuttle. He can feel the vulcan's eyes on him. McCoy was silent not responding to the glare. The inside of the shuttle craft brightened. The shield to the shuttle bay began to phase away. Jim ran into the protective shielding to protect himself. He used the communications station attempting to contact the shuttle craft. McCoy turned off hailing. He had done Jim a favor by telling him. Giving him a heads up. They had so little time to cherish his friend. The shuttle soared through the opening going into space.

"We will be there in twenty-four hours," McCoy said. "If ya had the chance to warn Jim that something was going to happen to a friend of his. . ." he turned toward the Ambassador. Spock was laid on the edge of the bed. "would ya do it?"

"I would . . ." Spock said. "but I would violate the prime directive in doing so."

"So would Jim," McCoy said. he looked down toward his hands. "I hate this."

"Leonard," Spock said. He came over toward the human placing his own hands into McCoy's smaller, warmer hands. McCoy looked up. Spock looked at the man's fading blue eyes. No longer bright as they used to be. Spock gave a squeeze. "they shall find the cure."

"Only after my death," McCoy said. "Spock, ya need to rest."

"When you feel better," Spock said.

"Ya doin' great," McCoy said.

"Computer," Spock said. "play classical soothing music. A song that is lazy."

The computer's familiar sounds came and went. Spock went over to the bed then rested once laying down upon it. McCoy listened to the elder's gentle snores. McCoy turned toward the console setting the course finishing the last touches. He stood up making his way toward the replicator. In blue light a cup of sweet tea appeared. He picked it up then sipped from it. McCoy looked over toward Spock. In his minds eye, he can see his service with Kirk and Spock in black and white. If only Spock could read his mind. To see his thoughts of all these years. What a tale his thoughts would have told then. Like a action hero from a old time movie. McCoy sat down into the chair finishing off the glass. He watched the greatest love story unfold before his eyes and made sure it grew old. He did well.