CHAPTER XIII

Penelope's POV

I heard the soft creak of the door as it was being pushed slightly open.  Adapting my eyes to the dark room I refused to switch on the lights lest it was a bugler.  The soft glow of the crescent moon penetrating the curtains was all I relied on for now. A dark figure got in and with much caution managed to evade every obstacle present without causing a ruckus. 

Controlling my breathing and shutting my eyes.  I heard him get closer and closer. I felt the side of my bed dip as he got on top of ME. Positioning his knees on either side of my hips and locking them. I was stuck under his body and could not risk him knowing I was awake by trying to break free. His rough hand tugged a lock of hair that scattered across my face. As I inhaled in his peppermint breathe.

'I know you aren't asleep.' he said leaning closer to my face.

I didn't want to open my eyes and see the monster that hovered over  ME.  However, My eye lids lifted without my consent and found the same eyes that have always looked at ME the same way for the past two years. Full of love and need.  Even with the tiny moonlight I could still tell it was him.

'Melki.' I uttered my voice breaking.

He smiled stroking my cheek affectionately but he stopped and placed his hand beside my head.   Leaning closer to my ear he whispered.

'I'm sorry but your feelings betray you.'

Too confused to register what he just said. His face had already turned to a scowl . His menacing eyes broke my heart as I tried to wiggle free of his grip.  Placing a pillow over my face, he pressed it down hard trying to suffocate ME, every attempt I tried to claw him failed . He was suddenly ten times stronger  than I remember and pinning all my limbs down.

I couldn't breathe,  My eyes fluttered open and I found Sophia pinching my nose and closing my mouth with her hands . Panicking I pushed her away while trying to catch my breath.

It was just a nightmare.

“ Payback. ” she smiled deviously. She was the embodiment of karma and we all know what they say about it.  Yep, it's a bitch.

“It's time for you to get ready.” she chimed like she didn't try to kill ME a minute ago. 

Your exaggerating

“Why? it's only eight in the morning.”  I pulled the blanket over ME as the sun's amber rays penetrated  the house.

“Wow someone's cranky,  it's four in the afternoon. ” she stated plainly.

“Your lying ,” I checked my phone. I groaned “Why did I sleep late last night? ”

“You should really stop doubting ME and before I forget your date called he'd be here by six.”

Double groan.  “We have two hours ,I'm so tired. I haven't eaten anything. ”I wined. Burying my head deeper into the pillow but quickly lifted it remembering the nightmare.  I tossed the pillow aside and Sophia caught it and placed it on the seat.

“Let ME get you lasagna and blueberry milkshake.” she shouted while walking away.

“Yes please. ”I clapped excitedly like a child as if my prayers were being answered. I should have known my excitement would be short lived.  A huge bowl of cereal was dropped on my lap with a packet of milk.

“Here,  eat. ” she said taking the seat opposite ME.

“You can't be serious.” I stared at the cereal, I felt betrayed how could she lie to ME like this.