Epilogue

Epilogue-

After Jeff took me to jail, I handed myself over and took a plea deal. With the information that Julio had given along with my testimony against Alonzo, the district attorney had agreed on a plea deal. It wasn't an easy or a hard one and it was actual prison time. To be exact it was a year and six months of prison time. It wasn't an easy prison sentence even though I got to see my father during that time. To say he was disappointed to see me was an understatement but I felt like I got to know him all over again.

Spending that time away from Brooke was hell though. Whenever she came to visit, I always made sure she was with someone. Either her father, Casey, or Clyde always came with her at my orders. Sometimes she didn't really like it much, but I could tell she actually appreciated my worry over her safety.

Alonzo is still awaiting trail as things with Mexican Cartel went federal in a hurry. With the feds involved, my sentence was shortened almost instantly. My first sentence was almost twenty years, but with Julio's help it became less. Even after his death the man was still trying to protect me. Even more than I actually realized at the time.

Pushing up from the bench, I smile at the familiar guard, Ramirez. He got along some inmates but not all, and he could down and dirty with the worst of them.

"Try not to get into anymore trouble, kid. Think it will give your old man a break not seeing you in here too."

I roll my eyes, grabbing the bag from his hand. "I'm going to do my best. I owe him, yeah, I promise a girl I'd clean myself up. Can't really make a life with her otherwise."

He nods escorting me to the exit. "It was nice knowing you, kid. This place is going to be a lot less interesting without you."

"I'm sure some of the other inmates will give you a run for your money."

He laughs knowing I'm probably right. Some of the inmates even hook guards in their poker games. Ramirez shouts for the door to open which reveals the long expansive gate at the front of the prison.

"Really, listen to your dad, kid. Savor the time you have with her. It will be gone before you know it. Oh, your dad's lawyer made sure you got this." He tosses over a small black box which I quickly grab. Without even looking inside, I drop it into my duffle bag before giving him a hug. He gets choked up before shoving me out the door toward the gate. "Don't leave that girl waiting."

I give him a nod turning away from door. When I look down toward the other end of the gate, I can already see her leaning against my truck, or now her truck. My footsteps quicken against the gravel as I make my way to opening gate. Her blonde hair is down her face full of makeup, but she's my girl. She's told me that every single day for the past year and a half. Working part time and attending classes at the community college, Brooke has continued to be the woman I know her to be.

She stands in jeans, ankle boots, black jean jacket covering a purple plaid top. Stepping away from the truck, she nearly runs toward me. My bag falls to the concrete as she jumps into my arms. Her mouth covers mine and I groan into her mouth. My arms wrap around her body keeping her close so that she doesn't fall. It feels nice to hold her in my arms again. It's been way too long that I've held her against my chest.

"Well, somebody missed me." My voice is husky as Brooke drops to her feet. She grins at me, the blush barely coloring her skin anymore. As much as I once loved that blush that colored her skin, it's a change to see her more confident in herself.

"What I can't miss you anymore?" She pouts, poking her bottom lip out adorably.

"You might want to be careful about that, sweetheart." My voice drops as gaze at her lips. "I just might take that lip and do something with it."