Chapter Four

Chapter Four -

I think I'm frozen staring at her. She's so different but the longer I stare at her, she's still the same. Those beautiful brown eyes that haunt me in my dreams brighten when she laughs with her friends. I still haven't approached her, just leaning against the entrance of the kitchen. She's dancing with one of her friends on the dance floor. She isn't drinking which is totally my Brooke. At least that has changed. Even when I attended high school, she was never the follower. I noticed that about her when I would spot her the hallway. She was that girl that outwitted the bullies as they chased her.

The girl I remember when I still attended the high school, Tameka, is dancing with Brooke on the floor. She's constantly drinking from the red cup Brooke brought her. Her other friend, in the turquoise dress, sits on a couch, hand cupping her chin. She looks so bored. I don't recognize her. Clyde suddenly appears at my side, drunken grin on his face. He usually one of the first drunk off his ass with all the drinking games going on. It's a surprise he hasn't cannon balled into the pool with his clothes on again.

"Hey, Clyde," I bump his shoulder to get his attention. Best thing about drunk Clyde, he doesn't ask too many questions. "That girl in turquoise on the couch, who is she?"

Clyde follows my nod toward the cough. "Oh, you mean Barb? That's Barbara Allen. She joined the high school after we graduated. She's friends with Tameka and...." Of course he trails off. Even drunken Clyde knows when not to speak her name. Alisha really her made her name like poison to our group.

"Brooke," I finish for him with a sigh. My eyes flicker around the room again, falling on her. I have never once seen Brooke in a dress. Her legs seem even longer and I ache to run my fingers down her thighs.

"Yeah, her." Clyde suddenly takes a large gulp of his cup. "You sure have missed a lot. Brooke isn't the same girl you remember. I think Alisha made sure she wouldn't be that same girl after that prank. There's a reason that prank is still infamous." Clyde claps my shoulder tossing his empty cup toward an overflowing trashcan. "Hope you enjoy the party. I've got a date with a girl in hot tub. Catch ya later."

Clyde disappears out the back door pulling his shirt over his head. I chuckle under my breath watching him leave. It's refreshing that no matter how much time has past that Clyde Owens will never change. Pulling my hands from my pockets, I take a deep breath. I've never been so nervous before. I turn my head and take in the alcohol on the counter. I've never needed liquid courage. Girls usually jumped at a chance to be with me. Nerves were never a big deal before. Now, however, it's a different story. I find myself checking the entire room for people I know aren't here. My hands are shaking, goosebumps appear on my skin.

I grab one of the bottles from the counter along with a shot glass. Thankfully the sink is mostly empty so I can clean the dirty glass. Glancing at the name on the bottle, Tequila, before pouring one glass to the rim. One isn't enough and I pour another feeling the burn in the back of my throat. I cough wincing as the alcohol causes my eyes to water. I haven't had much tequila over the years, choosing the harder stuff instead. I can still remember the taste of vodka on my breath the night I was arrested.

I toss the glass into the sink I screw the cap back on. Brooke is now alone on the dance floor, her movements even slower. Tameka is leaning against the couch talking with Barbara. Barbara is the kind of girl I could see Brooke be friending. Her curling brown hair frames a round face with glasses which she continues to push up her nose. She looks uncomfortable in the dress, constantly pulling at the end to cover her knees. Now that Brooke is alone, I take a deep breath before striding across the floor.

She looks up as I approach and I nearly freeze in place. Her dancing immediately stops. There's a sparkle in her eye that I still recognize. It's nice to see that hasn't been diminished by the past.