Chapter Six

I look at the stack of homework piled on my desk and groan. We just started school.

"Can't you do my homework for me?" I whine to Louis on the speakerphone. I can hear him tapping away on his little techie computers in the background.

"No," he says distractedly. "Not my job."

I roll my eyes. Yeah, your job is sitting at a computer almost all day. "I don't want to get stuck with this stupid work. It's too easy for me. You know I'm wasting my time."

"That is because you have already learned this stuff like three years ago. You are way smarter than these people even if you are close to the same age."

I lay on the bed, closing my eyes. "Well, I have to be smart. Most people don't get into the same business I'm in by being stupid."

"Most people aren't you, Y/N."

I sigh and decide to change the subject. "When is my deadline for the kid?"

"The end of October," he says.

I almost ask him to repeat himself. "That's barely two months! How am I supposed to get close enough to get him without looking suspicious?"

"I think you know the answer to that," he replies.

I am already shaking my head even though he can't see me. "No! No no no. I'm not going to 'fake' date this kid."

"What? No, that's not what I meant," Louis says. "Just be friends, okay. No relationships. They get too messy in the end. You've heard the stories."

And I have. They never end well. "Thank god," I mutter. "Am I still going to have other assignments in the meantime, besides Styles?"

"Of course you will. They will just stay in the state. Nothing you can't handle."

I pinch the bridge of my nose. "You are really pushing my limit here. How can I balance school, get close to Styled, and take out hits?"

"It has been done before," he tells me.

I sigh, looking over to my papers and books. "I've got to go. I have homework to do," I say in disgust.

"Good luck with that. Call me on a secure line if you need anything important." He hangs up.

I throw the cell phone onto my bed and head into the kitchen. I stare at my backpack. On second thought, I can do work later. Right now, I'm starving. I'm craving chicken Alfredo pasta. Oh, and maybe garlic bread.

***

"Did you do the homework?" Styles asks me before one of our many shared classes.

I flash back to me erasing words and whole sentences because they sounded "too smart." I glance up from my notebook. "Yeah, did you?"

He nods. "I can't believe they don't ease us into this workload. I'm already stressing out about the school year."

"That's just how it is. They pile on a whole bunch of crap and expect us to do it well. We practically have to learn the material ourselves."

"True that," he grins. "What are you doing during lunch?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe head to the library and do some work. Why?"

"I wanted to go off campus and grab something to eat. Do you want to come?"

Louis's words echo in my mind. Be friends.

"Yeah, that would be fun. Let's meet in front of my locker."

"See you there." He walks back to his seat when the bell rings.

I put my things in the locker and see Styles walking down the hall to me. He waves and I wave back.

"Where are we going to eat?" I ask him when he reaches me.

We start walking towards his car.

"You can pick. I'm down for anything," he says.

"You're the one who invited me. You should pick."

"But you're my guest."

"A guest who can't decide," I reply. "So, you pick."

He smiles, unlocking his car. "Fine. Del Taco."

I get inside and buckle my seatbelt. "It has been a while since I've been there. Good choice."

He turns the car on and begins back up. "I'm glad you approve."

"Where are the rest of your friends?" I ask. I have some details about them, but they aren't much.

"I didn't think you wanted to be surrounded by a group of people you don't know," he responds.

"I'd still like to meet them."

"Yeah, I can't be your only friend at this school."

"I'm fine with being alone," I reply defensively. "I don't need friends."

"Everyone needs a friend, Y/N. Everyone."