Chapter Thirteen

"Bring it on," Harry replies with a shrug to Michael.

"Truth or dare?" Michael asks mischievously. What is he up to?

"Dare," Harry says.

"I feel like everyone is choosing dare just so they don't seem like babies," a girl says.

"Dare is what makes this game all the more fun."

"Or maybe you're all scared of the truth."

"Okay, be quiet. What's the dare?"

Niall is leaning over, whispering into Michael's ear. A maniacal grin spreads across Michael's face as he stares at me, nodding slowly. Niall leans back to his spot, apparently satisfied.

"I dare Harry to spend five minutes in the hallway closet with Y/N."

My eyes just about pop out of my head. "Wait, what?"

"You heard me."

Harry is looking between me and Michael. "Seriously?"

"Yeah."

"Well, you can't be that serious while wearing a bra."

"Just shut up and do it."

Harry and I stand up, as does the rest of the group to make sure we go inside.

"We are going to be timing you down to the exact second so don't think you can cut any corners," Michael says. "We'll know."

I roll my eyes.

He opens the door, revealing a mostly empty closet. "In you go." He shoves me and Harry inside not so gently.

I shrug him off and plop onto a pile of blankets. "Don't touch me or I'll break your hand."

He just laughs, not knowing the truth behind my words, and closes the door.
I hear Harry sit down. There is some light coming through the bottom of the door and the sides.

"So what now?" I ask.

"How about I ask you some questions?" Harry replies.

"What kind of questions?" I inquire. I lean my head against the wall and close my eyes. I shouldn't have drank so much. Or at all.

"Like what happened to you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You know what. The bruises and cuts."

"I've already told you-"

"I don't believe you."

"Doesn't matter if you don't."

"It's does to me."

I sigh.

"Does someone hit you?"

My eyes spring open. "Of course. That's what boxing is all about. Two people punching and punching each other."

"I mean besides that."

I hesitate for a split second and hope he doesn't notice. "I'm not being abused. If that is what your asking," I say in a harsh tone.

"But you would tell me, right? If you were."

"I already told you! We are not that close, Harry."

He stays quiet so I decide to change the subject.

"Your friend Liam doesn't seem to like me too much. What's his deal?"

I can almost sense him smile when he says, "He doesn't really like most people."

"Why?"

"I guess he trained himself that way."

"That's weird. Tell him to lighten up or he'll get wrinkles."

Harry laughs. "Will do." A pause. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

I almost choke on my spit. "No. Why?"

"I just don't want to feel bad about doing this," he replies, suddenly much closer to me.

"What are you-" I'm effectively cut off when a warm set of lips press against mine. I'm frozen for a few seconds until his hand slides onto my thigh.

I lean forward, parting my lips. Harry sighs in relief and presses closer. My heart is thumping in my chest so loud I'm sure he can hear it in this small closet.

I tear myself from him long enough to get out, "We can't do this."

His lips find mine again. "We already are." He tugs at my bottom lip.

Suddenly, the door springs open, flooding the closet with light, and Michael yells out, "Time's up!"

I jump away from Harry and stand up, wiping my hands on my jeans. He gets up lethargically. His hair is visibly tousled from my hands running through it.

Michael, Niall, and Liam are staring at us, clearly knowing what happened in here.

My face is cool as I walk by Michael. I turn and punch him the arm.

His smirk turns to one of shock. "What was that for?" He rubs his arm.

"For ruining his life," l sigh. I hurry past him and everyone else crowding along the hallway.

"Y/N!" Harry calls out. "Wait!"

I ignore him and keep walking. He catches up to me at the front door. His fingers wrap around my arm.

"What's wrong? Where are you going?" he asks.

I look into his green eyes, wanting to tell him that everything about him is wrong. It's so wrong it's right. But this won't last forever. I have to kill him, cut his life short. He won't graduate high school. He won't go to college. He won't meet a girl and fall in love with her and have kids and live happily ever fucking after. None of that is within his grasp and he's so oblivious to it.

Instead, before I can say anything stupid like that, my phone rings. "This is not a good time, Louis," I snap.

"It never is," he drawls. "Look, I have something for you tonight. They need you over there quick."

I pinch the bridge of my nose. "You've got to be fucking kidding me," I mutter. "Alright, I'll be there."

"Who's Louis?" Harry asks.

"My boyfriend," I reply without thinking. Good one.

"But I thought you said-"

"I lied." I pay no attention to the hurt on his face or the way my heart clenches. "I have to go," I add in a softer voice. My hand lifts itself on its own accord, but I pull it back and clench it into a fist before it brushes against him.

Without waiting for a response, I turn and run into the night.