Condemnation

“You wanted to see me, General?” Matthew stood in the doorway to Eskino’s office at the barracks. The big male turned in his chair to fix a hard look at his former Commander. Matthew felt a chill run down his spine; something was off. “Sir?”

“Come in and close the door, Shadows.”

He obeyed, crossing the floor to stand in front of the General’s desk, chin lifted as he waited. General Eskino’s gaze was devoid of all emotion, except for a slight crease of his brow. He remained silent for several moments, before reaching for one of the drawers on his desk and retrieving an item that was wrapped in a black cloth.

Matthew swallowed hard as he recognised the grip of the handgun Eskino revealed to him. “Take this.”

“Sir?”

“The gun, Shadows.”

He forced his hand not to shake as he closed his fingers around the weapon, leaving the cloth that covered it on the desk.

“Sir?” he repeated in a low voice, uncertain what this all meant. When he arrived at the barracks that morning, Jason had come to him grim of face and stern of word. He hadn’t said much just instructed him to the General’s office then hurried off muttering about having to get stuff ready for something…

The General cleared his throat, before announcing roughly, “There’s to be an execution today.”

A ringing started up in Matthew’s ears; he shook his head as his hand tightened over the gun. Eskino waited, observing his reaction in silence.

“Shit,” he finally muttered, then flushed meeting the General’s stern gaze. “Sorry, sir. I’m just…exactly how does this involve me?” Confusion warred in his mind. He couldn’t fathom why he was being told all this. After all, he as no longer T-One, so surely it was not his responsibility to worry about the sentences of certain prisoners. He’d expected to come in and continue what he’d started the day before, going through the archives and reordering all the documentation.This he had not foreseen.

The General leaned forward as he laced his fingers together in front of him on the desk. “The Captain came to me with some disturbing information concerning your…activities outside of The Creed.”

The colour literally bled from Matthew’s features at that revelation. And then a tight ball of fury began to form inside him. If he wasn’t already pissed off at his former 2IC, he was now. Obviously, loyalty to friends meant nothing to Jason Berry and that bothered Matthew no end.

His nostrils flared as he took several deep breaths before responding.

“Whatever he told you-”

“Don’t say anything.” Eskino held up a hand to halt Matthew’s protest. “I already knew. And I must say I’m not all that surprised. However, you must face the consequences of your actions.” The General nodded to the firearm in his hand. “You will carry out today’s execution.” He climbed to his feet, giving a soft grunt at the effort as he stepped around the desk to stand directly in front of the younger man.

Matthew’s mind broiled as he considered the fact that Eskino had known what he was up to. If he knew that…could he possibly have figured out about his visit to Elijah? He forced that thought from his mind as he looked to the General. Eskino lifted an eyebrow at him.

He clenched his jaw before speaking tightly, “Sir, I don’t think I can…”

“No?” Eskino raised his eyebrows. “Well, it’s either that or I have you charged with high treason and you and I both know what that would mean.”