I Never Asked You Chapter 5

He took her hand and bent down to kiss it. He was very like his uncle, with the same long hair, beautiful face and aristocratic bearing. But he was taller than the Viscount, with a more muscular build and broader shoulders. Her sleepiness disappeared.

"Enchanté, mademoiselle." His dark hair brushed her hand as his dark eyes flicked up at her for instant and then back down.

"D - de même." Her French lessons came back automatically. And for once she was glad Sebastian had insisted upon it. He was a wonderful teacher.

Wolfram, on his part, was asleep. But some alarm went off in him, and he awoke. He struggled to his feet, but his eyes were swollen shut, his muscles felt weak, and it burned when he breathed.

Charles Phipps had not left Charles Grey's side since he was hurt. Phipps watched his sleeping friend, his white hair spreading out on the pillow. Phipps reached out a hand to touch his face, when he saw the German man struggle to his feet. He was half-asleep, muttering German words Phipps did not understand. But he sounded very concerned.  

Phipps ran over to him and supported him. "Easy now. Easy." He saw the medicine sitting on the table near him. It must be what the girl doctor was going to administer. "Here now, old chap, drink this." He held the vial to Wolfram's lips.

"Nein. I must get to my Herrin."

Charles spoke in a firm voice. "This medicine is from your mistress. Take it now, we don't want to disappoint her, do we?"

"Nein ... " Wolfram drank it. Almost instantly his muscles began to relax. He collapsed on the divan and fell back to sleep. Phipps patted his shoulder. Brave man. "There now, big fellow. You rest." He went back to sit next to his fellow butler. Listening to Wolfram's muted snoring, Phipps was soon asleep himself.

"Well," yawned Druitt, "we are tired from our long journey. Show us to our lodgings, butler." Ciel flushed with anger and opened his mouth to say he didn't like him speaking that way to his man.

But the Phantomhive butler bowed and said, "Allow me, my lords."

When Ciel and Sebastian were in their chamber, Ciel said, "What do you make of the nephew?"

Sebastian replied as he wiped his master's feet with a soapy cloth. "It is not my place to speak on it, but I do wonder why the viscount never mentioned his nephew before."

"You don't have to do that, you know," said Ciel.

"Do what, my lord?" said Sebastian as he ran the cloth up Ciel's legs.

"Bathe me. I'm capable –"

Sebstian looked at Ciel with something in his fathomless eyes. "You are not yet married and you are still my master, and as such I will continue to care for you."

"Ahem." Ciel felt heat rising all throughout his body, but he shut it down. "He has Victoria's seal and letter. If this were true, why wouldn't she tell me?"

"It is a game between the two of you. You do not reveal all your information to her. You and the Queen both have your secrets." Yes, secrets ... thought Ciel. We do have a lot of those. Sebastian continued, moving the washcloth going higher, between Ciel's long legs. "Perhaps her Majesty wants to keep the Emerald Witch for some hidden, royal agenda."

Ciel fought to concentrate (and to not squirm) as his groin kept tingling. "B-but there was an assassination attempt on the Queen. If this were her machination, her plan, why does she lay, incapacitated?"

"Turn, my lord." Ciel turned and the warm cloth was on his back. "I agree. I was merely playing ... devil's advocate." Ciel couldn't see Sebastian's face, but he knew his butler was smirking. Soon Ciel was dressed for bed. Sebastian said, "We'll investigate in the morning. Rest now."